Factory Reset

Reaction score
Hello!
my mac Apple iMac ME086LL/A 21.5-Inch Desktop is getting very slow and I have decided to factory reset it. I'd be grateful if you could help me with some suggestions:
1. do I need to deauthorize and log out of accounts if I intend to keep my mac?

2. could you look at the print screen and suggest which disk I should erase? It is a bit confusing.

3. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Gury

factory reset.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 32GB i7 3TB & 1TB NVME OSX 13,5,1 late 2013
his there,

there is no need to sign out of the accounts if you are continuing to use the same iMac as it will log in ask you to verify its you and still be the only machine in iCloud.

as for formatting the disk and starting over the 1TB is the one you want to format don't forget to give the HDD a name in the format section so it don't say untitled (not necessary)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Make a good backup before you do anything. And you may want to make a bootable USB Thumb drive so that you can boot from that and from there do the formatting of the internal drive. You cannot be booted from the drive and erase it. The system will not permit that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The reason for slowness is that poor old platter hard drive and if this is a recent model, you can connect a super fast SSD externally via USB3 or Thunderbolt for greatly improved performance.

Your iMac is probably a late 2013 model and both the above options are available.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Harry make some good valid points, but I would suggest your idea of doing a Factory Reset due to some slowness is complete overkill!!

You don't mention having done ANY sort of maintenance or anything, nor any mention of what is actually slow.

You could probably speed things up drastically just by doing a clone backup, erase and Zero out your existing HDD, then clone the backup back to your internal boot drive.
My recommendation would be to use Carbon Copy Cloner.app for the backup.

PS: My original 2011 iMac 1 TB HDD spinner is still more than plenty fast for all my needs, and yes, I have performed the operation I describe above on it, maybe at least twice over the years.

Why create all that extra work to do a Factory Reset, just because of some current slowness??? Not for me thanks.

- Patrick
======

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I too would suggest doing a factory reset is both complex and unnecessary. As Patrick has said you do not mention having tried any other solutions and a factory reset would be my last option.
For example how much storage do you have free on your HD? Are you aware that less than 20% free storage can cause spinning beach balls and general slowness overall.?Have you tried running First Aid from the native Disk Utility app? Have you tried running the free Maintainence app OnyX which can empty system caches and clear out a lot of unnecessary clutter? I would certainly check all those boxes first.
Also how many background applications are running? Check your list of Startup Items in System Preferences > Users and Accounts > Login items.

Sent from my ageing iPad Mini iOS 9.3.5 Mac-Forums

OP
G
Reaction score
Thank you all so much for your helpful suggestions! Indeed I did not try all the other options. I will give it a try before I do a factory reset.
Gury

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Thank you all so much for your helpful suggestions! Indeed I did not try all the other options. I will give it a try before I do a factory reset.
Gury

In case you missed it, Member Randy B. Singer has some good Mac maintenance pages and suggestions that you should find helpful at:
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

- Patrick
======

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
That's where they are, yes great reference from Randy. Try them first for sure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.