How do I stop an outgoing call on iphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac-21.5"(2017):OS Catalina 10.15.2 IOS13.3 iPhone 8+ iPadpro v2
Being pestered by robo calls all the time. I usually am able to tap the info area and block the number, but today, I must have hit the number because my iphone tried to call back the robo number. I found no way to stop my iphone from trying to make the call without powering it down. I tried again to stop the outgoing call of this blocked number to see if I missed something. The call went through, but to a voice mail. I was still unable to stop the recording until I powered down. Is there something I am missing? How do I stop an outgoing call before it is completed or stop a voicemail? I have 8+ iphone with most up to date IOS

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
When making a call on any iOS device, the screen changes to show the number and says "Calling..." underneath it until connected. Once connected, it switches to a timer showing how long the call has been connected. You should have the red phone icon on the bottom that should disconnect the call at any time during the call, before being connected or once connected. Nothing should be getting in the way of you disconnecting.

I employ an app that basically blocks the bulk of the robocalls but a few get through and when I go to manually block it, I do end up redialing the number as opposed to hitting the (i) to block it, but I just hit the red icon quickly to disconnect.

If you find certain parts of the phone aren't responding to your clicks, it's usually a good idea to restart your phone.

We get used to charging and using our phones so much that we forget that they've been running without a restart for weeks or months and it is inevitable that something might get into a state that's bad. A restart will always sort things out though.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac-21.5"(2017):OS Catalina 10.15.2 IOS13.3 iPhone 8+ iPadpro v2
Ashwin,
Yes, your answer does work on a couple of calls I just made. The call and my call back that caused me to post my question, however, did not allow me to stop by hitting that red icon. Can be confusing. Thanks for your help.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There should different about calling different numbers that should illicit different behavior in being able to hang up early or not, but I've seen that sometimes the iPhone tends to lag a little bit when making or getting calls. I remember the really old iPhones would some struggle with the 'slide to answer' button when getting a call and you'd end up not being able to take the call.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Being pestered by robo calls all the time. I usually am able to tap the info area and block the number,

There are several good automatic call blockers and tracers that you can download and install for free. One that I use is "HiYa" and is very effective at stopping Robo calls and those "Nearby" calls.

Another thing you can try if you don't wish to use a call blocker, is put your phone in "private" mode. Then, the only calls that will get through are those numbers and callers who are listed in your Contacts. The only thing with that method is you will likely have to clean up voice mail after a bit to delete those voice messages which the blocked caller leaves.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
+1 for Hiya which is what I use. It's 100% stopped all of the neighbor scam calls.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
+1 more for HiYa. I use it as well. Works great, and I love when the "name" appears as "Scam Likely"/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.