Do I Need A 5G New Phone For When 5G Gets Here?

Reaction score
I tried to search this one, but I don't think I used very good search key words.

Here's the situation: I am overdue for a new iPhone. Do I have to be concerned about buying a phone that will be fully and completely compatible with 5G, when 5G gets here? In other words, do I have to wait for some phone in the future or are the current offerings fully compatible?

Thanks. :)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
5G is not out and as such no phone out there supports it. When 5G comes out, the existing LTE, 4G, 3G, Edge networks will still be present and operational. Once 5G gains traction with the carriers, the phone manufacturers will start releasing the phones with 5G support.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I wouldn't worry about it. Some carriers (specifically Verizon) are stating that they're getting ready to employ 5G but most experts believe it's not going to be ready for quite some time. If you need a new iPhone now is a good time to buy since Apple is giving a generous trade in for your old phone. Aside from that, if you're a military veteran they have a special site with reduced prices that you can purchase from. Also, lots of iPhones are appearing in the Apple on line refurbished store.

Or, you can hang on to your older phone until this Fall when the 2019 models are announced by Apple. However, it doesn't appear that the 2019 iPhone lineup will include 5G ready phones. But, then again who knows what Apple will do? :neutral

OP
M
Reaction score
Hmm. We're gonna need new phones for 5G? If this is the case, then I've got to buy more AAPL stock at $170.

Thanks for the replies, gentlemen. :)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Yes, technology can be made backward compatible, but not forward compatible. Each different type of network requires a chip that is capable of operating at that frequency and protocol. Phones are manufactured to support the current cadre of networks and new ones will be added over time. Generally, the chips just smart with each new generation to handle then newer technologies without losing the ability to operate on the older technologies since we don't just wholesale obsolete an older network across the US when a new network comes on.

You will find that when 5G is introduced, it will only be prevalent in high density (i.e., big cities) for a while and then slowly it will trickle out to the suburbs and eventually (and not) to remote areas.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
We're gonna need new phones for 5G? If this is the case, then I've got to buy more AAPL stock at $170.

At this point in time, everyone who wants to take advantage of any 5G technology will have to buy a new cellphone, AND they will also have to be in an area that will be supporting them. And that's going to take quite a while to get all areas covered, and I don't know if buying more AAPL stock will even help you. And I doubt if they will be one of the first forerunners covering 5G services.

- Patrick
======

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Im lucky to get 3G here in Bali. I can get 4G in some parts of Australia but 5G, well I'll probably need a new phone by then anyway.

Sent from my iPhone

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.