Can I view only pics that are NOT in an Album?

Reaction score
Hi, I've collected tons of pics and unfortunately did not do a good job organizing them. I have been trying to organize them into Albums from the "All Photos" view. I understand putting them in an Album is just a link to the Album (a logical organization of the) and the "All Photos" view is all photos period.

What would really help me, is a view of all pics that are not in any Album (yet). ie. Once I'm completely finish, all pics would be in one or more Albums, and if I look at this new view, (ie the No Album view), no pics would show.

If any pics do show at some point, I know I haven't organized them yet - and they need to be put it an album.

Craftydad

PS I'm using a Mac Book Pro, latest OS and iPhoto.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Only too happy to help you out with organising your photographs.

Just so that I'm clear on the matter:

You said "Latest OS". That should mean macOS Mojave, but it might mean the latest your Mac can run. So can you confirm Mojave?

And if it is Mojave, why are you not using Photos app instead of iPhoto which was "replaced" by Photos some years ago?

And beware, Mojave is the last OS that will allow iPhoto as it is 32bit. Next OS will only work with the Photos app - which incidentally is way better in functionality than iPhoto.

Once we know the answers, we can help you willingly.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
In Photos

Choose File > New Smart Album.
Select from criteria Album, Is Not, Any.
Name and click OK. I call mine 'unsorted'.

Now you have an album that will show all insorted images. As you drag images to albums, the smart album updates results.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks badshoehabit!

I'm using Mojave 10.14.3. Yeah, I'm so used to calling it iPhoto - but it's actually Photo. :)

Now the work begins..... lol

Craftydad

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.