• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

New Workshop

OP
KennyC
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 Retina 3.4, 16gb Catalina 10.15.3, iPhone XR, iPad 9.7
RadDave, thanks for comment. I should have plenty of room now for hobby stuff. For me it’s like I hit the lottery and couldn’t be happier. Now I have to sort through paperwork & plans that I stock piled. Still debating on dust collection, from my old setup I had blast gates that were 4” on one side and 2 1/2” on other with hoses for equipment which made walking around easier but probably not as efficient as if everything was 4” but not being a business I may keep it and just run a 4” trunk down the wall and use what I have. I used 4” tee’s for drops but I’ve learned that wye’s are the proper way due to being more efficient.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Still debating on dust collection, from my old setup I had blast gates that were 4” on one side and 2 1/2” on other with hoses for equipment which made walking around easier but probably not as efficient as if everything was 4”

Don't forget that the air velocity with smaller diameters can have quite a dramatic and often positive effect, especially on "capture velocity". Maybe solicit the thoughts or designs of a good HVAC or sheet metal duct tradesman who's well versed in airflow design.

- Patrick
======

OP
KennyC
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 Retina 3.4, 16gb Catalina 10.15.3, iPhone XR, iPad 9.7
Patrick, thanks for the comment and suggestion. Haven’t much experience with dust collection except for a few articles I have read. I must say it hasn’t worked too bad in the past as is but can’t remember who or where I heard or read that I’d be better off with 4” drops. Even the tee’s I used worked fine but again I read that the preferred joint should be with a wye. Will have to read up some more about this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.