• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

New Workshop

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
****, now I'm really green.

Sent from my iPhone

OP
KennyC
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 Retina 3.4, 16gb Catalina 10.15.3, iPhone XR, iPad 9.7
I've spent a lot of years fixing my houses up so instead of hiring out I bought the tool and learned how to use it, did the jobs and had the tool pay for itself. Been blessed with that ability. Now I'm hoping to start using these for fun stuff and beautiful work like RadDave is doing. wish I had better access to hardwoods like I'm sure RadDave. does in NC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I've spent a lot of years fixing my houses up so instead of hiring out I bought the tool and learned how to use it, did the jobs and had the tool pay for itself. Been blessed with that ability. Now I'm hoping to start using these for fun stuff and beautiful work like RadDave is doing. wish I had better access to hardwoods like I'm sure RadDave. does in NC.

Hi Kenny - when starting a project (invariably use hardwoods these days), I usually order my wood from Wall Lumber in Mayodan, NC (off 220 near the VA border - about 90 mins from me) - I typically get their UPS bundles delivered to my doorstep (my projects tend to be small so a great choice for me) - pic below showing their offerings; also ship nice Baltic birch plywood (5' x 5' sheets).

If not done already, go to the Woodfinder Website, enter your zip code, and see what hits you may get?

I'll clean up my basement workshop and take some photos to post - not professional but works for me. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2019-02-16 at 11.33.27 AM.png

OP
KennyC
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks RadDave will check that website out. I have a couple around here but it seems every time I get 4 quarter lumber the plane down the rough cut some which save me time but they always snipe the ends. so watching these guys one day I can see they have a habit of lifting the boards which I believe is what is causing the snipes. I have a planner but I like them to plane off a little, it saves my planner blades a little. I still usually end up with a good 15/16ths.

I'm far from professional just love working with wood. Can't wait to get into bowl turning etc. Still waiting for power company to bring in power to building and hopefully I will have all electric done inside next week or so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Patrick, that's a beauty. It looks like the 10R model. Would love to have one too. I bought mine in early 80's. Here are some pics of shopsmith,

Thanks Kenny, and yes I believe that is the model, unfortunately, I was not able to "abscond" with all its attachments it originally came with such as its: bandsaw, small air compressor, small verticle jigsaw and I believe a small stationary belt sander. I'm not sure I'm missing anything else. Anyway, all the parts I have all work, and it's usually just used as a drillpress and table saw and mabe with a grindstone or steel brush. All very quick to change.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For those interested, I did a little cleaning in my basement workshop and took some pics - quality not great but labels show my various tools (missed a pic of my Veritas router table) - now need to order some wood from Wall Lumber and come up w/ a new project - has been a few months! Dave :)
WShop1.JPG WShop2.JPG WShop3.JPG WShop4.JPG WShop5.JPG

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, just a couple more pics that did not seem to 'fit' into my last post - I'm a router aficionado, so own probably about 8 or so, both corded and several (Rigid & Bosch) that run on Li Ion batteries which are just great for minor edge work, like round overs - Dave :)
WShop6.JPG
WShop7.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
labels show my various tools ... ...
Well, just a couple more pics that did not seem to 'fit' into my last post ...

I believe the amazing expression is WOZERS!!!

The envy of many, including myself, even though my current physical condition would prevent me from using most of them. Very nice setup.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I believe the amazing expression is WOZERS!!!

The envy of many, including myself, even though my current physical condition would prevent me from using most of them. Very nice setup.

Hi Patrick - that basement workshop space has been expanding since the 1980s - now just need to get back into making some projects - ;) Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Patrick - that basement workshop space has been expanding since the 1980s - now just need to get back into making some projects - ;) Dave

And it seems like your routers like expanding as well and must be breeding and producing all the new ones. You may want to keep an eye on some of the other tools in case they have something similar in mind. :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And it seems like your routers like expanding as well and must be breeding and producing all the new ones. You may want to keep an eye on some of the other tools in case they have something similar in mind. :Smirk:

Well Patrick, feel that I'm more of a 'tool collector' than a woodworker - ;) Dave

P.S. now should I show my router bit collection? :laugh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
P.S. now should I show my router bit collection?

That's okay Dave, but I'm sure it's quite impressive.

- Patrick
======

OP
KennyC
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
RadDave, a man after my own heart, wow. Looks like you have ample space for your shop. I was fortunate when I acquired my SS it came with bandsaw, jointer, shaper and other stuff. It was my first power tool, but after using it for a while the table saw function left it a little to be desired. So I bough my first Craftsmen table saw but still wanted the SS for it’s other useful functions. I started collecting old hand tools like brace & bits,hand planes etc from local flee/garage sales.

My PBS just started carrying The Woodrights Shop with Roy Underhill who uses nothing but old hand tools and its amazing to see how early craftsman built thing with those tools.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...........My PBS just started carrying The Woodrights Shop with Roy Underhill who uses nothing but old hand tools and its amazing to see how early craftsman built thing with those tools.

I've been watching Roy's show for years (started here in NC PBS) - love his trips to nearby places, e.g. Jefferson's Poplar Forest near Lynchburg, VA (we've visited twice now and will return, an ongoing restoration) - and is amazing that old time furniture making involved plenty of hand tools (the variety of molding planes astounds) - love to carefully look at antiques in museums - Old Salem's MESDA in my home town is a great place to see plenty of old furniture and period rooms.

Also, assume that you've watched Norm Abram's New Yankee Workshop - of course, he was associated w/ This Old House, and his pals w/ Ask This Old House, another favorite of mine - also, the Woodsmith Shop are fun to watch (I own the 10-DVD box set shown below). Could go on w/ other videos in my collection, but.... Looking forward to seeing future pics of your shop in progress! Dave :)
Roy1.png
Roy2.png

OP
KennyC
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
RadDaveAbsolutely, every Saturday morning I tape all these shows and enjoy with coffee on Sunday. We just lost on PBS down here (out of Tampa) Scott Phillips on The American Woodshop and gained the The Woodrights Shop which I use to get years ago. I do miss Scott Phillips because over the last year on The American Woodshop Scott was doing a lot of turning projects which was educational and a joy to watch and learn stuff. On the Woodsmith Shop I have a nice collection of old monthly magazines I use to get and cds with projects and also love to watch. They just changed their format and almost all new personnel. I get their weekly e-tips too, which has some good tips to save but with that also some of their advertising partners adds. I may have to try to talk the wife into visiting Mesda some day, looks like I could spend some time there.

OP
KennyC
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New Pictures #1

Here are new shots of the woodshop.
Books.jpeg Clamps & DC.jpeg . Drill Press & Tools.jpeg . PC & Drawing Table.jpeg . Radial Arm.jpeg

OP
KennyC
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New Pictures #2

Here are some more. Still adjusting but it has come a long way.
Screw Bins.jpeg . SS Center.jpeg Tablesaw.jpeg Wood:Kayak Rack.jpeg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Nice!! My mother's side of the family came from a line of woodworkers/crafters. It's always fascinated me since I was little. One of my dreams is to move to an area that allows me to have my own shop big enough for wood working and machinery. One day lol

Last edited:
OP
KennyC
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks iggibar for comment. At 66, this is after almost 40 years of remodeling, hobby stuff and collecting some that I got my first real shop/man cave, but it was worth the wait.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Kenny - shop pics look great - congrats! Also, looks like you have plenty of room to expand - Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.