• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Looking to buy an older Mac for simple video editing

Reaction score
I've never really used Macs but was looking to buy an older inexpensive model dedicated to basic YouTube video editing but wasn't looking to break the bank. The most common models I've found under $200 are the MA877LL/A and the MC015LLA. Any advice would be appreciated.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
No one (off the top of their head) knows what those machines are by their model numbers. Please provide specifics; year, name, CPU, amount of RAM, type and size of storage.

OP
C
Reaction score
One unit I was considering is an All-In-One 2.26GHz Core 2 Duo with 160GB HD and 1GB ram from 2009 (MC015LLA), the other unit is also an all-in-one core duo 2.4Ghz processor with 320GB memory and 2GB of ram from 2007 (MA877LL/A). But all the models in my price range seem to be between that 2007-2009 year range and I am looking specifically for a desktop all-in-one unit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
No one (off the top of their head) knows what those machines are by their model numbers.

OT: Now wouldn't it be nice if Apple would change the info on their iDevices as to the Model that's listed under the Settings, rather than just listing the sales order number...

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
It might be better to save and get an iMac (that is what you are referring to) that has at least 4GB - preferably 8GB or more - of memory. Video editing is very memory intensive - both system and graphic. With 1GB or 2GB of memory you might become frustrated with how slow the iMac will run when rendering video.

Lisa

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I agree with Lisa.

Both of those machines are 20" iMacs with C2D CPUs. The one for sure can take 4GB RAM but for editing video more ram would be nice. Also the one you listed will only run a very old and unsupported Mac OSX version. It will be hard even finding software for it today.

Good URL Bob. Those would do the job and for the same price in the OP and are much better machines.

OP
C
Reaction score
Okay, I decided to increase my budget and bought one from the link you provided. I figure if it doesn't work out I can always sell it back :)

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
(2012) 15" MacBook Pro, (2012) Mac Mini, (2016) 9.7" iPad Pro + Pencil, iPhone SE
Just sharing my experience when I got my first mac about a year ago. It is the top tier i7 model from 2012, but it was terribly slow. At least until I upgraded the RAM and hard drive. I was surprised at the poor performance, since I knew the system should have been running a lot better. I found that 4GB of RAM just was not enough for a smooth experience. At least in my case.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.