Thread: Advice please

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017).Processor 1.8GHz intel core i5.Memory 8gb 16000MHZDDR3.Graphics intel HD
    Advice please
    Hi a friend of mine is well into apple gear,he gave me a tip today to Turn off FileVault to gain a lot of space.
    Should I listen to him?.
    What do the experts say
    Thanks David
    Passwords should be like a tooth brush renew every three months

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    Hi Tomos

There is some debate about whether FileVault (FV) ultimately takes up significant additional space. Have a read of this debate on another forum where this question was discussed: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...-space.687401/

NB Some say that it takes up around 100MB, which is nothing; but there other comments saying "To turn it on or off, you need to have an amount of free disk space which is equal to or greater than the total size of your home folder." I'm assuming that is temporary rather than permanent - ie it is "working" space needed to execute turning FV on or off.

I would pose your question another way - if I may? Why do you need FV in the First Place? Interesting and differing viewpoints on that!

Ian

PS Just for general info: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204837
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP Retina late 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Mojave; iPhone 7 128gb; iPad Mini 2, 32gb
    Turn it off, regardless; it was switched on when I got my latest MBP and caused it to seize up.
    Sue

If the shoe fits, buy it in every colour.

Hi a friend of mine is well into apple gear,he gave me a tip today to Turn off FileVault to gain a lot of space.
    Should I listen to him?.

Why do you even have it enabled other than Apple trying to force you to use it??

If you don't work with INTERPOL etc. or some such place with some super secret stuff, you probably don't need it. Oh yes, or if you're really paranoid!!!

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    I agree with Patrick and Sue. Turn it off and leave it off. Unless you have MI6 data on your hard drive, you don't need it. If you forget your password or passphrase, your data is toast. Again, turn it off.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 13" MBPro, 2013 13" MBAir, 2010 MacPro, iPhone X
    +1!!! Turn it off.

Lisa
    Recommend using Onyx to clean your Mac.
    If you have been helped, please add to their reputation by clicking on the icon in the lower left hand corner of the post.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomos View Post
    Should I listen to him?.

FileVault 2 (the most recent version) uses a fixed amount of space and no more beyond the amount of space your data usually takes up when not encrypted. I believe that in no case is it larger than 650MB. However, it might temporarily use more space than this, but it will soon be recovered.

Is it worth turning off FileVault to recover that much space? Folks debate that. Have a look at this discussion:

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comme...use_filevault/

That discussion offers some good points. You don't have to be a secret agent to benefit from having your data encrypted. Users often have banking information on their computer, tax return data, credit card data, business records, private correspondence, information that would make it easy to steal your identity, etc. And laptops get stolen all the time.

Personally, I'm in the middle. I don't recommend FileVault, but I think that your important/sensitive files or folders should be encrypted. You can encrypt them with Disk Utility, but it's a bit of a pain to use. This free utility makes the process as easy and fast as it can be:

Crypt3 (free)
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cryp...13756594?mt=12
    http://dekorte.com/projects/shareware/Crypt
    (Instantly encrypt and password protect your files or folders. Open them with a double-click and enter the password. Not even the FBI can break this encryption.)
    Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
    Mac OS X Routine Maintenance http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017).Processor 1.8GHz intel core i5.Memory 8gb 16000MHZDDR3.Graphics intel HD
    Thanks to all.
    Sorry for delay didn't get an email notification.
    David. Will turn off nothing extremely important on my MacBook, nothing to hide.
    Passwords should be like a tooth brush renew every three months

Thread Information