Macbook Air 13" 2018 - Audio Input
    I do a lot of analog recording on various tape machines and need to mix down two stereo tracks L/R via RCA to 1/8" (headphone jack) onto Garageband.

I hooked up the RCA to 1/8" into my new macbook air and there is no option under "Sound" to toggle the headphone jack to "audio input."

What's the work-around?

I've searched all over and haven't been able to find one. Solutions are all about connecting a microphone, but that is not what I am doing. No one seems to be answering this question for connecting a stereo input to the air.

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.1 beta
    I think someting like this should get the job done. If the connector you tried did not work make sure that it supports TRRS. I believe these are also referred to a four pole connectors. Notice from the image I linked to there are three black bands on the headphone end. If yours only has two bands it will not work.

I think there are longer versions of this cable available. If not you can use RCA female to male extension cables on the RCA end.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Quote Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
    I think someting like this should get the job done. If the connector you tried did not work make sure that it supports TRRS. I believe these are also referred to a four pole connectors. Notice from the image I linked to there are three black bands on the headphone end. If yours only has two bands it will not work.

I think there are longer versions of this cable available. If not you can use RCA female to male extension cables on the RCA end.
    Hello!

This is not the item, unfortunately. Someone on that Amazon listing asked the seller if this will send RCA signal to the phone, and it will not. Third pole is recognized as a microphone input, the RCAs are NOT recognized as such.

Does anyone have any other recommendations. I have a VERY hard time believe that no one who owns a Macbook Air is looking for this functionality.

As far as I know, the 1/8" jack on the MBA is only for audio out, not audio in. I think you would need to purchase an audio interface. Here's the one I have that I use with my iMac and MBA:

https://www.amazon.com/Focusrite-Sca...s=scarlett+2i2
    -Jonathan
    iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) - 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5
    MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2012) - 1.8 GHz Intel Core i5

I found this on google:
    All of Apple's computers feature a headphone jack or sound output of some kind, but only a few of them offer a recording input. The iMac includes one, as well as the 15-inch MacBook Pro and the Mac Pro desktop, but you won't find one on the MacBook Air , Retina MacBook Pro , or the 13-inch MacBook Pro.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone5s,
    KRS, I just found the exact same article. What the OP needs is a USB sound card as the Air has no Audio input but just built in Mics.

Look here:
    https://www.macworld.com/article/116...cbook-air.html

The MacBook Air has a single headphone port, which should be more accurately called the “headset” port. Like the headphone port on iOS devices, this jack supports audio input as well as output—with this caveat: The microphone or headset in question must be of the three-ring variety, just like Apple’s headsets (and their compatible brethren).
    I couldn't believe that those with a MacBook Air couldn't have their kids recording sounds of farts and burps. Where would the fun be without that option???

Here's another solution:
    how to use headphone jack as audio input
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5302235

- Patrick
    ======
    Last edited by pm-r; 02-15-2019 at 09:05 PM.

Patrick -
    I read this MacWorld comment as well, but I think it only applies to older MacBook Airs.
    For the 2018 MBa and also for the 2017 MBa which I just bought, you need some sort of audio to USB converter.
    Apple shows one for $10 but it seems to only be one way, ie to replace a headphone jack.
    I bought an iMic years ago which works well; I also see quite a few different versions by Behringer which should be excellent (based on my experience with other audio products from them) and these are pretty inexpensive.
    First one I came across with both mike and line inputs was only $C29.-

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by dtravis7; 02-15-2019 at 10:16 PM.

Thread Information