Best Anti Virus software for Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Why would you want any of these gimmicky 'removers' and $30.00 to boot?

Their web page says 'Mac OS X.9' so that tells you how dated it is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
If I start Waterfox from scratch and import everything from Firefox, would that also import all the prepopulated log in information for the probably hundreds of websites that I have.

I don't know about any of the log information, but I didn't find that it did even bring over the login/password information and I had to set that up not only in the Waterfox but also in Firefox and then again in Chrome that I had been using successfully.

That was basically to login to mac-forums and I'm sure some other sites were the same. To be honest, I was NOT impressed and I have also been finding Waterfox quite slow to open in some sites. Like a minute or more!!

So Waterfox (WF) better start working better or it will be heading for the Trash on my iMac.

Also WF doesn't seem to want to use some of the FF extensions that worked well in FF and the same with some FF and Chrome supposedly equivalent extensions.

Bottom line, I was expecting better and not impressed at this point!!!

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why would you want any of these gimmicky 'removers' and $30.00 to boot?

Their web page says 'Mac OS X.9' so that tells you how dated it is.

I'm lost here, could you link to what you are referring to here please harryb??

- Patrick
======

krs

Reaction score

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.

krs

Reaction score
I have 56.2.7.1 of Waterfox, but I wanted to import all my bookmarks and prepopulated login information from Firefox and just trashing the Waterfox app and downloading it afresh doesn't do it.
That information is kept in various different places on the Mac and is retained when the app is deleted.
Waterfox should really have an "uninstall" option

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I downloaded 56.2.7.1 but it does not open under Mojave. The icon appears on the Dock, hops up and down once and then I get a crash report. Anybody get it working on Mojave?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
That is why I believe it is not up to date for later OS X releases.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Let's not mix & match topic folks. Keep your discussion about Waterfox in the other thread.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ashwin, there are ZERO posts about Waterfox in that thread. Hence the question here, where the topic is being discussed.

krs

Reaction score
Well,

This thread is supposedly about the best anti-virus software for the Mac, nothing to do with Waterfox

The other thread is about Waterfox specifically, but became a little bit side-tracked trying to find the best way to uninstall Waterfox so a cpmplete clean install could be done including importing settings etc. from Firefox.
Pretty much every thread will have the occasional reference to something else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have 56.2.7.1 of Waterfox, but I wanted to import all my bookmarks and prepopulated login information from Firefox and just trashing the Waterfox app and downloading it afresh doesn't do it.

To get the import to work properly, I had to Trash the install Waterfox.app then open the .dmg installer again, and then open the Firefox.app icon that gets created while it's in the window And before driving it to the suggested Applications folder.

And then gives you an option of what you want to import.

I found the bookmarks got imported but not where I was expecting them, and most of the login and passwords to various sites such as mac-forums and some others didn't work without manually logging in.
But not even that was a easy as I had to Re-login AND change my password to get in, and then had to change my password the second time back to what I wanted and use normally, And then I had to do the same thing with Chrome. I guess some thing thought it had been changed again. All a bit of a PITA actually just to try it running Waterfox which is not working out as well as I expected or led to believe.

Not exactly impressed and leaves me questioning the whole application.

Also some extension and plug-ins I would like to use are not available or don't work properly, even if they say they do.

BTW: In this case I am running Mavericks 10.9.5.

I'm also using Chrome at the present time in order to get some work done and will look into maybe trying and using Waterfox again sometime later.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This thread is supposedly about the best anti-virus software for the Mac, nothing to do with Waterfox

I agree, at least it was, but it is well sidetracked right now, but it should be on its own and in it's own thread.

Maybe a Moderator or admin could move it. :Oops:

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
That is why I believe it is not up to date for later OS X releases.

According the the Waterfox blog, Waterfox has been consistently updated, including for all the way up to Mojave. The last update came a couple of months ago:

https://blog.waterfoxproject.org/waterfox-56.2.5-release-download

Waterfox is different than just about every other Mac browser. It is a one-man show, and instead of getting their money from Google for searches, they get their money from other (more secure) search companies and some of the money made goes to charity:

https://blog.waterfoxproject.org/waterfox-charity-storm-search

There are plusses and minuses to all this. On the negative side I don't think that Waterfox can progress at the same speed as other browsers from bigger companies with more programmers. On the positive side, if you trust Alex Kontos, you basically are assured that your privacy is being protected and that he has users' best interests in mind.

Personally, I've used Waterfox, and I haven't found it to be as good a performer as the most recent versions of Brave and Slimjet, both of which I like more. See:
https://www.kaputniks.org/web-browser-benchmarks-firefox-chrome/
(these tests were done on Windows versions of browsers, so take it for what it's worth)
Brave and Slimjet are based on Chromium. Firefox and Waterfox are based on Mozilla. I think that Chromium-based browsers all have a speed advantage over all others at this point.

OP
P
Reaction score
Enjoyed how this thread has grown!

I've a question, which may be off topic so happen to start a new thread.

Given all that has been said: What Internet Security should I have on my mac outside of the standard Firewall that comes with it?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Have an ad block/ghoestry type extension on your browser to prevent malware from coming through. Run OnyX once in a while to clean things up. Get applications from reputable places (ideally the App Store) and scrutinize ANYTHING that asks for your admin password and you have all the security you need. There is absolutely no need to be running anything additional which just takes up resources and provides no actual protection other than the perceived marketing hype.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Plexbeerry, use VPN whenever on a wireless network, even at home if you have really close neighbors like in a block of apartments. In a more rural setting, or suburbia, you might not need it at home, but it wouldn't hurt there, either.

krs

Reaction score
I would suggest make sure stealth mode of the macOS firewall is enabled.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Given all that has been said: What Internet Security should I have on my mac outside of the standard Firewall that comes with it?

I am sure I have read several times that if one has a firewall set-up on the router, that is was suggested not to have the Mac OS Security pref pane firewall turned on or enabled as well.

This is still valid???

- Patrick
======

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.