Best Anti Virus software for Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums Thomas.

Thanks for posting information regarding the status of MalwareBytes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
What makes you distrust Malwarebytes?

+1.
I would appreciate more clarification as well.
And I appreciate your comments.

And WELCOME to mac-forums.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
I'm curious why you say that.

I think that I've been pretty clear about it in this thread. You might want to read back through it.

Just curious, Thomas....who suggested that you join Mac-Forums and drop in on this thread?

Reaction score
I did. It's an open forum, I like to hear both sides. :)

Welcome to the Forum Thomas :)

Last edited:

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I think that I've been pretty clear about it in this thread. You might want to read back through it.

Just curious, Thomas....who suggested that you join Mac-Forums and drop in on this thread?

That’s a strange question to ask in itself Randy, why wouldn’t/ shouldn’t he? Personally I’m very happy to get informed opinions from any source. Thanks for your input Thomas and welcome to these forums.

Sent from my iPhone

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Reaction score

Okay, I guess we'll do it that way then. Allow me to address some things you've said, then.

Download EasyFind and do a search for "MalwareBytes" on your Mac if you have MalwareBytes installed. You will find as many as 24 files (the number, oddly, varies for each user) for MalwareBytes installed all over your system.

I can tell you exactly what they're doing, if you have concerns about them. Essentially, they're all components that provide various functionality, such as scanning, securely storing settings in a way that they can't be tampered with by malware, etc. Is it more complex than AdwareMedic was? Yes. Is it more secure and more capable than AdwareMedic was? Hugely so!

(Hint, MalwareBytes is making money off of you even if you only have the free version.)

What?! How, exactly, do we do that? The free version is free. We don't make money on it. There's no advertising, we're not collecting and selling data, or any other nonsense that you may be insinuating. That's insulting, to be honest. We don't make money unless you actually purchase a Premium license, and yet we still make the basic scanning and remediation free, with no strings or time limits attached. Helping our users remove malware for free is a fundamental philosophy of the company that I strongly agree with, and is one of the reasons I was proud to join Malwarebytes!

Run MalwareBytes. How long does it take to do a scan? About 10 to 15 seconds? Compare that to any decent (or even most worthless) legitimate anti-virus programs, which can take an hour or even much more to do a scan. Malwarebytes can only be doing the most cursory of scans..and it is. MalwareBytes doesn't look inside any files at all. It can only look for specific file names in specific places on your hard drive.

You've got a major assumption there that is totally wrong. You say that Malwarebytes doesn't look at file content, and only looks for specific file names. This is blatantly false. There are a variety of different rules that we use to search for malware, and many of them actually do scan file content.

The speed is due to the fact that we take location of files into consideration. We actually have a KB article to address this question:

https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1293

It's exactly as I told you...and both the DetectX folks and the MalwareBytes folks won't deny it if asked directly...those products don't scan within any files or apps.

Ummm... yes, I would, and just did. If you'd asked, I would have told you. And note that even AdwareMedic used content-based scanning rules, so you can't claim to have based this on old information.

I can't speak for DetectX, but I should probably let Phil Stokes know about this topic in case he needs to clarify any erroneous details about his software as well.

you have to take any articles from companies that are trying to sell you anti-virus software, especially software with dubious anti-virus abilities, with a huge grain of salt.

You know that I write most of the Mac-related content for the Malwarebytes blog, right? Are you saying I'm not to be trusted anymore?

when you have a company, like MalwareBytes, that is basically a company that caters to Windows users, and only recently has started to sell a product for the Macintosh, you have to be concerned that they even understand that the Macintosh isn't like Windows.

Again, this feels like a personal attack, since I'm still actively involved in directing the development and doing the threat research.

This is all very disappointing. I've always thought we had a good relationship, and I've always been honest with you. Back in 2015, I told you: "Right now, I'm mostly dealing with post-infection solutions (though I plan to change that in the future)." It's disappointing that as I'm doing more and more work on creating technology to catch infections before they happen, I'm getting criticized for it. :(

Reaction score
How long does it take to do a scan? About 10 to 15 seconds? Compare that to any decent (or even most worthless) legitimate anti-virus programs, which can take an hour or even much more to do a scan. Malwarebytes can only be doing the most cursory of scans..and it is. MalwareBytes doesn't look inside any files at all. It can only look for specific file names in specific places on your hard drive. It's very easy for malware to hide from MalwareBytes. (It's the same for DetectX, by the way.)

Hi, developer of DetectX here. I won't get involved in what's best for users, but a couple of technical clarifications. DetectX Swift (DTXS) does a lot more than just scan for files at file paths - it also uses heuristics to look for problems residing on the disk and for currently executing binaries, and these heuristics don't depend on knowing the files path beforehand.

Also, I wouldn't put too much weight on scan duration. Lengthy scans are a feature of "legacy AV" that basically have to search every file's hash signature or examine the binary for string patterns using something like YARA rules. That method is exactly why old AV products had such a bad reputation for being resource hogs.

DTXS does do some of that if certain other criteria are met first (i.e., there's a decision tree to reduce scan time), but there are faster ways to identify things these days (I won't link to my own site, but you can websearch for 'Why is DetectX Swift So Fast" if you're interested).

Also, don't put too much faith in XProtect and Gatekeeper. Just websearch for "how malware bypasses gatekeeper". :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi Thomas & Phil - welcome to the forum! :) Thrilled to have both of you here and already enjoying your 'explanations' - hope that you'll stick around and occasionally 'chime in' - thanks. Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, I guess we'll do it that way then. Allow me to address some things you've said, then.
Hi, developer of DetectX here. I won't get involved in what's best for users, but a couple of technical clarifications.

Thanks to both you developers for providing some facts on your products. Most appreciated.

I gather from some of the comments that I can now just Trash AdwareMedic.app and there's no point in running it???

BTW: Thanks also to philastokes for joining and adding some constructive comments to this thread. And welcome to mac-forums.

- Patrick
======

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
It’s always good to have new members and we don’t often get those who are developers.

So hello and welcome to Thomas and Phil. Please feel free to offer whatever time allows in the way of general advice to this family and friendly Forum.

Ian

Reaction score
Yes, thank you Thomas and Phil for taking the time to share your first-hand knowledge :)

krs

Reaction score
........it also uses heuristics to look for problems residing on the disk

Throughout this discussion I was wondering if any of these applications used heuristics as well as looking for specific malware.
Although the concept of heuristics seems fine, on Windows anti-virus programs I thought that heuristic approach was the main reason for false positives - would that not be a concern with the Mac software as well?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Welcome guys. Nice to have the developer perspective on this discussion. Don't be strangers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Very nice to have app developers jump in and clarify. I do use Malwarebytes for Mac to run periodic checkup scans.

I will be honest and say I learned about DetectX during this discussion and being a curious person I will have to check it out.

Thank you Thomas and Phil for jumping in and adding to the discussions plus clarifying so many points.

Lisa

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I too would like to add a warm welcome to Thomas, and a a big welcome to Phil as well. I'll echo what has already been said, that it great to have new members especially from the app development side of the industry. I look forward to hearing from you from time to time, especially on this currently hot topic of malware prevention and removal.

As per my usual curious nature I downloaded and ran DetectX just to see what it would find. Interestingly it turned up a few things I did not expect. A number of Wondershare files which I assumed where a hangover from my old Boot Camp installation of Windows 10 although that was on a previous device but then this device is a result of a partial clone of the old one, so I deleted them.

Several files related to Clean My Mac 3 which don't concern me so I white-listed them.

BUT it also revealed a numbered file (apparently an app) ending in SafariExinstall. A little research seemed to indicate this is an unwanted extension commonly infecting Safari and perhaps Chrome via an app called Chill-Tab. I have not had any of the described symptoms listed on the search pages related to this but I deleted it anyway.

So I can say my first impressions of DirectX are that it's search parameters appear to be wider than Malwarebytes. Having said that none of the additional items found by DirectX seemed to have caused me any problems unlike the users mentioned on this page re to Chill-Tab; https://www.reddit.com/r/applehelp/comments/a7dms4/this_update_requires_an_action_safari_mac_os/
Note that the responses all suggest using MalwareBytes to remove said malware.

Lastly can I just mention VirusBarrier? I am very happy with the protective software I already have and do not intend to try that app especially after the results posted by MacInWin in this thread, the only thing that pushes my 2015 MBPr 13' 512Gb 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5 anywhere near that hard is SmartConverter Pro, a video format converter which I usually allow to run on it's own and I use Macs Fan Control to keep my CPU 2 below 55 C.

Anyhow, nuff from me for now,
Cheers,
Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Lastly can I just mention VirusBarrier? I am very happy with the protective software I already have and do not intend to try that app especially after the results posted by MacInWin in this thread.............

Well, for those interested - way back on the first page, I left a post w/ plenty of pics showing the temp changes and CPU usage of VirusBarrier, just saying that the observation was made earlier - Dave :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Rod Sprague
Anyhow, nuff from me for now,
Cheers,
Rod

And how are you managing with that nasty bug plague that hit you recently?

Getting and feeling a lot better I hope.

- Patrick
======

krs

Reaction score
Well, for those interested - way back on the first page, I left a post w/ plenty of pics showing the temp changes and CPU usage of VirusBarrier, just saying that the observation was made earlier - Dave :)

Fair enough Dave, but 156ºF is still within the max. limit specified by Intel; so it's high but still barely acceptable.
Thus the reply from VirusBarrier that this was OK.

The over 200ºF reposted later is a different story - that is well over the limit specified.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Rod Sprague

And how are you managing with that nasty bug plague that hit you recently?

Getting and feeling a lot better I hope.

- Patrick
======

Much better now at day 12. Almost my old self minus a few pounds, not that I would advise it as a weight loss program. I've had a lot of injuries over my time, broken bones, back pain, prostate cancer, 2rd degree burns but nothing even comes close to the pain of this nasty little virus. Perhaps that's why it used to be called "Break Bone Fever" but I can contest to it being much worse than that. The first time I had it was quite different, blinding headaches and photophobia was absent this time. Apparently there are 5 serotypes, all different, once had you get immunity to that serotype so I've only got 3 left to try.
Honestly we do our darndest to reduce our exposure and places where mosquitos might breed but there is only so much one can do surrounded by rice paddies in a tropical climate. We even have 6 mosquito zappers placed around the property but once the local population is heavily infected it's still hard to avoid. All this taking into account only one type of mosquito can carry the virus, Aedes aegypti, the so called yellow fever mosquito.

Thanks for asking Patrick, how are things with you?

440px-Aedes_aegypti.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.