Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Best Anti Virus software for Mac
    Hi

What's the best anti virus software for mac please?

I would need it to go on 2 macs so one that's able to go on more than one device without a large cost would be most helpful

Thank you

Chris

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 13" MBPro, 2013 13" MBAir, 2010 MacPro, iPhone X
    We do not recommend anti-virus here. 99% of the viruses are written for Windows thus do not affect macs.

If you want to scan your system you can download and run Malwarebytes for Mac. It will install a full working version trial but eventually it will revert to a standalone scanner.

Or you can used VirusBarrier Scanner - find it in the app store - and which I really like. It will just scan your system on a schedule or you can do a manual scan.

Both are free (as long as you choose not to purchase the full version of malwarebytes)

Or if you are determined to install anti-virus take a look at Sophos Home. It is free for the basic and the premium version is $60/year for up to 10 devices. You can also set parental controls on individual machines.

Lisa
    Recommend using Onyx to clean your Mac.
    If you have been helped, please add to their reputation by clicking on the icon in the lower left hand corner of the post.

I second what Lisa wrote.

Just stop and think before you install new software - the Mac will warn you a few times and then require authorization to do an install.
    So don't install anything unless you specifically looked for that software and then download and install it from the developer site directly if you can.

Don't know about Sophos Home, but years and years ago, before I knew better, I installed Norton Antivirus for the Mac.
    I ended up with really strange problems which nobody could troubleshoot until someone suggested I uninstall Norton and then all the problems just disappeared.

ClamXav used to be the preferred antivirus for the Mac if you really insist of installing that type of program - not sure why that is no longer mentioned.
    But I think the best option is to not install any anti-virus and just run malwarebytes every once in a while

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 13" MBPro, 2013 13" MBAir, 2010 MacPro, iPhone X
    krs is right - ClamXav use to be preferred but they changed how it ran and it fell from favor. You will find those who do not like Sophos but it also has changed and I use it at work where we have a mixed environment and anti-virus is required. I beta tested their premium edition for a year and ended up purchasing two years when my beta ran out. I liked that it is light on the resources and highly customizable. But I don't find any anti-virus necessary for macs that is continuously running.

My preferred at home protection is VirusBarrier ever since Malwarebytes insisted on installing a trial of their full coverage.

Lisa
    Recommend using Onyx to clean your Mac.
    If you have been helped, please add to their reputation by clicking on the icon in the lower left hand corner of the post.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.14.2
    Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    ClamXav used to be the preferred antivirus for the Mac if you really insist of installing that type of program - not sure why that is no longer mentioned.
    But I think the best option is to not install any anti-virus and just run malwarebytes every once in a while
    My introduction to ClamXav was when I had an old IBM laptop and put on a Linux distro (Ubunto) just to learn about the OS - downloaded ClamXav - when I went from PCs to Macs in 2013, I put ClamXav on my wife's iMac (she got a LOT of email from Windows friends so I did run it periodically - did not want her sending potentially 'infected' emails to her other Windows friends, although nothing would harm her computer) - but stopped even doing that and may have deleted it?

Recently, I've been getting emails from the ClamXav developers about upgrading to their current version - the problems: 1) Now an annual subscription and not cheap (see pic for upgraders); and 2) Poorly reviewed - see Neil Rubenking's Review, for those interested. Currently, I am just using Malwarebytes and extensions in my browsers. Dave
    Screen Shot 2019-02-10 at 5.50.03 PM.png
    If you are helped, increase the reputation of the poster -

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.14.2
    Quote Originally Posted by lclev View Post
    My preferred at home protection is VirusBarrier ever since Malwarebytes insisted on installing a trial of their full coverage.
    Hi Lisa - thanks for bringing VirusBarrier to my attention - did the free DL and ran the app on my MBPro - assume that you've noticed the following: 1) Computer temps increase drastically (to over 160ºF on my laptop); 2) CPU usage nearly hits the ceiling; and 3) Fans eventually kick in and run at about twice their speed (see my screenshots below) - after scanning over 700,000 files on my machine, all returns to normal w/i a few minutes. No harm done, but those trying out this app should be aware of these effects (unless my aging laptop is misbehaving - ) - and no malware found! - Dave
    VirusBarrier1.png
    VirusBarrier2.png
    VirusBarrier3.png
    VirusBarrier4.png
    If you are helped, increase the reputation of the poster -

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    Best Anti Virus software for Mac
    With no irony or offence intended the "Best" protection is "You".

Practice Safe computing. Never opening Mail from an unidentified source. Don't open attachments except from someone you trust. Alway check the email address from supposed sites like Apple, Amazon, your ISP and anyone warning you that Mac is infected. Do this by clicking on the senders' name - eg - apple.info.xmedia.outlook.com is clearly not from Apple. Look at how you are addressed (Dear customer instead of the proper salutation), look at the grammar and spelling. Ignore dire threats of PayPal account closure or iCloud blocked etc.

I totally agree with Malwarebytes - it detects malware which most, if not all AV apps miss. Sophos has major problems.

If you absolutely insist on an AV product - Intego (from https://www.intego.com) has the advantage that it is designed exclusively for Macs and is harmless - might even be helpful.

Avoid any AV originally designed for PCs and "adjusted" for Macs.

There is already lots and lots of protection built into modern macOS systems.

But how you run your Mac is your Best defence,

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    2015 Retina 4k iMac. High Sierra. 8GB Ram
    Blog Entries
    I used clamxAV until they took the free version away. I'm not paying for AV protection.

Quote Originally Posted by Plexberry View Post
    What's the best anti virus software for mac please?
    The Macintosh OS has anti-malware software built-in that works mostly automatically and which is regularly updated automatically. It is reasonably effective:

XProtect/File Quarantine/Gatekeeper
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xprotect
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201940
    http://www.macworld.com/article/1165...atekeeper.html
    http://www.thesafemac.com/mmg-builtin/
    https://eclecticlight.co/2018/01/20/...your-mac-from/
    https://eclecticlight.co/2017/12/21/...ally-released/

So the overwhelming majority of Mac users do entirely without any third party anti-virus software, and yet, you almost never hear of a Macintosh user legitimately complaining that his/her data was damaged by a virus. This is both because there is very little malware for the Mac (about 60 or 70 examples, most of which the Mac OS is now patched against or which is now extinct in the wild; compare this to well over a MILLION for Windows!) and because the Macintosh mostly protects itself.

However, the Mac's built-in malware software looks for very little adware, which is a recent scourge. Adware isn't malicious, it is just really annoying. (It causes your Mac, or just your browser, to show you ads.) This is why folks tend to recommend MalwareBytes, to get rid of adware.

However, I think that folks are mistaken in their recommendation of MalwareBytes. I'm extremely leary of MalwareBytes since they came out with the nagware/commercial version. Download EasyFind and do a search for "MalwareBytes" on your Mac if you have MalwareBytes installed. You will find as many as 24 files (the number, oddly, varies for each user) for MalwareBytes installed all over your system. What do you think that they are all doing? (Hint, MalwareBytes is making money off of you even if you only have the free version.)

I now recommend this instead of MalwareBytes for dealing with adware:

DetectX (free/$10 requested)
    https://sqwarq.com/detectx/

Also, while Malwarebytes is a very effective product for dealing with adware (having subsumed the excellent anti-adware product Adware Medic), contrary to what it says on their Web site, it looks for very little actual malware at all and is inadequate for that task.

Don't believe me? Run MalwareBytes. How long does it take to do a scan? About 10 to 15 seconds? Compare that to any decent (or even most worthless) legitimate anti-virus programs, which can take an hour or even much more to do a scan. Malwarebytes can only be doing the most cursory of scans..and it is. MalwareBytes doesn't look inside any files at all. It can only look for specific file names in specific places on your hard drive. It's very easy for malware to hide from MalwareBytes. (It's the same for DetectX, by the way.)

Folks' recommendation of VirusBarrier is a good one.

VirusBarrier Free Edition (free)
    https://www.intego.com/mac-security-...mac-antivirus/
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/Viru...r/id1200445649
    This is a full version of Intego's excellent commercial anti-virus program VirusBarrier [usually $40/year] minus some [but not all] of the automated scanning features in the commercial version. This isn't just a nice free product, in the past VirusBarrier has won all the believable third party anti-virus comparison tests.

What ISN'T a good recommendation is Sophos anti-virus. I hear from one or two users EVERY WEEK whose Macs are running like molasses. It's gotten so that I automatically ask first thing if they have Sophos installed, and they almost always do. Once Sophos is removed, things go right back to normal. I'd assiduously avoid Sophos.

So, DetectX and VirusBarrier Free Edition are worth having, and as a bonus they are both free. You really only need to run them if you think that you might have a problem. And chances are excellent that you will never really have a problem that legitimately involves malware. If, like most Mac users, you do absolutely nothing to ward off malware, you should be perfectly fine. That's one of the big reasons we all use Macs!
    Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
    Mac OS X Routine Maintenance • http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

What I have noticed quite often about third party Mac software that the quality of the "free" one is excellent and then, as soon as it get commercialized - the quality goes down the tube.
    I can now add clamXav to the list.
    Anyone remember 'Visual Hub'?

Anyone remember 'Visual Hub'?

Not meaning to go very far OT, but wasn't Visual Hub a video conversion application for working with videos???

I guess I missed some connection to the thread topic.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.1 beta
    You're right. Visual Hub was a video connversion app that broke under Lion. I assume that the reference is to quality of an app declining once it goes commercial. Personally I don't think that's whhat happened with Viisual Hub but to each his own.
    Last edited by Slydude; 02-11-2019 at 01:38 AM.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Quote Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
    You're right. Visual Hub was a video connversion app that broke under Lion. I assume that the reference is to quality of an app declining once it oes commercial. Personally I don't think that's whhat happened with Viisual Hub but to each his own.
    Yes - that was the reference, somewhat off topic.
    I was pretty sure that Visual Hub disappeared for a short while and then came back commercial but with problems - and I never found a replacement that had all the VH capabilities rolled into one.
    Just for kicks I just tried to launch my old copy of VH from 2007 un El Capitan, not really expecting anything to actually work, but lo and behold - it did an mp4 to avi conversion perfectly.
    I'll start a new thread.....

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.1 beta
    I deleted VH from my system long ago. IIRC I never could get the Lion fix to work right for me or something like that. Nice to know it still works for some.

I just tried MPEG Streamclip on Mojave. It hasn't worked for me in some time either. The files wouldn't even load. I have the current public release on a 2008 MacBook Pro and that works with MPEG Streamclip though I haven't tried finishing an actual conversion yet. On my 2015 iMac running the current Mojave beta it doesn't work.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

HI everyone - thanks so much for the detailed and helpful feedback.

Firstly, while I've used Mac's for about 10 years solid now (with no AV installed), I'm a professional filmmaker/editor and so use the macs for this reason.

I've had cause for two reasons to look into virus/malware protection more:

1) My QNAP Nas was playing up, I discovered if had Malware on it. I don't know how it got on there (i'm a very careful user, good at not falling for bad emails and I don't need to download dodgy apps and so therefore I don't) but it was there and causing issues. It's not gone thanks to QNAPS own Malware remover for their NAS drives.
    That had me worried and made me look into this.

2) Over the lasts year or so I keep hearing conversations about how 'because Mac's don't need to worry about Viruses, it's become the virus makers mission to affect/infect Macs more'. Now this might be a load of rubbish, it actually makes sense to me, but as I'm not technical at all I have no idea if that's possible. So, I guess, thats why I'm here. It seems that Macs are still ignored by virus makers, and those that exist can be sorted though the usual 'be careful what you open' approach. Which is great.

I think I'll just get DetectX for now

Thanks everyone

Chris

Thread Information