iCloud ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Kenny, let's work through a thought problem to explain it. Let's say you took a screenshot of your screen that you want to share on the Internet for some reason. You realize that the picture is not ready for the Internet because it shows something you don't want to show, like your bank account number and password, so you use Photos to edit the image to remove that information by either cropping or blurring it out. Do do that you have imported the picture into Photos from your camera or phone, so it is now in Photos. Great. But the image in Photos is NOT a file on the drive, and the image on the drive that you imported to Photos is unedited. So how to fix this situation? Easy.

From Photos, select the edited image you want to send to the Internet and then click on the top bar on "File" and then on "Export" and you will have an option to export the unedited version or the current version of the image. Export the edited version, go through the options to pick how you want it to be, including name and folder and quality, etc., and then click Export. The image will be exported to a file of the name you wanted at the location you wanted. From there you can then send the file to the Internet however you wanted to do that.

There is also, in Photos, the File/Share option to send the image directly from Photos to some applications, without having to export to a file as an interim step.

So you have options. If you decide to export, and if you want the drive to stay uncluttered, after you use the file for whatever purpose, I would suggest you delete it file. You can always export it again if you need it as a file later on.

Another possible use of this process would be if you attached your iPhone or camera or card from the camera and used Image Capture to put the images directly into Photos. By doing that the images are never on the drive as separate files at all, saving that space. But if you want one, or several, from Photos to use for some purpose, you can select them and export them from Photos to files.

OP
KennyC
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 Retina 3.4, 16gb Catalina 10.15.3, iPhone XR, iPad 9.7
Jake, I think I get most of this now. So by keeping pictures in Photos App and keeping in Finder Pictures folder I am actually using twice the space? I have a better handle on how to get my pics to show on internet (like our forum here) to a better viewing size.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Kenny, yes, if you copy into Photos and also keep the file, you are using up twice as much space. One set of space for the copy in the database and one for the file itself.

OP
KennyC
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So to go a step further, I could leave Photos Apps alone and move the files from Finder to an external and regain that disk space?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes. And that is what I do. And then I back up both Photos as part of my regular backup and I back up the external drive with the actual files to a Network Server with Raid array as a second backup. I have had two drives fail the same day and lost photos before, so I'm trying to prevent that happening again.

OP
KennyC
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have photos backed on two win boxes, network attached hd and dvd, and now this. Thanks for your patience on this. My misunderstanding I guess is I was looking at Photos App and the Finder files as one in the same. And my wife says I'm untrainable.:)

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
And my wife says I'm untrainable.

They all say that.

I’m still trying to work out what that means:D

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I have photos backed on two win boxes, network attached hd and dvd, and now this. Thanks for your patience on this. My misunderstanding I guess is I was looking at Photos App and the Finder files as one in the same. And my wife says I'm untrainable.:)

Just think of all the people who still have all their photos just stuffed into multiple shoeboxes all over the place. So I would say you are quite well-trained.

But I don't know if that includes having to pee outside. :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Rod, almost nothing I say is worth recording, but if you want to copy that to your folder, by all means, feel free to do so.

I respectfully dissagree.

Sent from my iPhone

OP
KennyC
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
patrick,
Just think of all the people who still have all their photos just stuffed into multiple shoeboxes all over the place. So I would say you are quite well-trained.

But I don't know if that includes having to pee outside. :Smirk:

I still have a lot of slides and film pics I took when in while overseas and other places I would like to eventually digitize but that’s down the road. Still trying to learn macOS with the help from great folks here guiding me.

On a side note when trying to potty train my son the only way I could get him to learn to pee was to get him outside and pee on trees but that created another problem when he started school, we were living on a few acres back then. Those were the good old days.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.