iCloud ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 Retina 3.4, 16gb Catalina 10.15.3, iPhone XR, iPad 9.7
When I take pictures on my iPhone I noticed that they only show on my iPad. After looking into why pictures aren't showing up on just the MAC I saw that photo in iCloud was not selected. When I tried to turn photo on in iCloud it read I don't have enough space would I like upgrade or to that effect.

My questions:
If I start backing up my pictures to an external drive when I take a photo with iPhone will they show up in my Mac?

If not, I would have to remove my documents from iCloud to make space and back them up externally to make room for photos in iCloud without buying extra space in iCloud, if I delete doc's from iCloud would that have an adverse effect on doc's other than loosing that backup which would be done externally?

I hope this is the correct spot to ask this and this makes sense.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
Do you have PhotoStream turned on, on the macOS iCloud Photos? Then photos should sync to your Mac.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@Kenny

I'm not sure I am answering your question exactly as you stated it, but may I explain how the "ecosystem" works?

On every iDevice you own -

Leave iCloud Photos Unchecked
Check My Photo Stream

On your Mac (in Photos > Preferences > iCloud)

Check My Photo Stream

This will ensure that every time you take a picture with an iDevice, it will remain in that Device's Camera Roll and appear in My Photo Stream in all your other iDevices AND appear on your Mac.

If you delete a picture from My PhotoStream on any iDevice, it will remove that picture from My Photo Stream on every iDevice EXCEPT on the iDevice which took the picture (where it will stay in Camera Roll) and EXCEPT on your Mac where it will stay in your photos collection to iCloud.

One last thing. On your Mac under the settings I mentioned above, you can Check/Uncheck "iCloud Photo Library" as you desire - this function determines whether you want to store/upload your Mac's entire Library to iCloud.

Your choice doesn't change the behaviours that I mentioned above in respect of My Photo Stream/Camera Roll on your iDevices nor does it alter the automatic syncing of them to your Mac - where they will remain.

Does that help? Or do you need additional info?

Ian

OP
KennyC
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Bob & Ian.
I do not have that option when I go photos>preferences>iCloud, this is what I have.
iCloud.png

I'm trying to learn how to attach a screen print I hope this turns out.

EDIT:Ian, I pretty much understand more now. I assume Camera Roll is all photos. My photos version is 4 too. not sure why I don't have that choice MY PHOTO STREAM as you can see from screen shot.

Last edited:

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
OK< Kenny.

Just to confirm:

You don't see this in Photos > Preferences > iCloud

Screen Shot 2019-02-10 at 10.19.58 pm?.png

It may be because you have macOS Mojave whereas I am running macOS High Sierra and my version of Photos is 3.0

That must be it, I suppose, but odd that it has changed because it has been the way I showed since its inception.

Your iPad & iPhone are both running iOS 12.1.4, so there should be no problem getting to Settings > Photos and seeing "iCloud Photos" OFF and "My Photo Stream" ON?

And yes, you are correct, Camera Roll, seen when you open the Photos app on your iDevice, is under "My Albums" and represents all photographs taken by that device. Whereas "My Photo Stream" represents photographs taken on that device PLUS all photographs taken on other iDevices.

All I have to do is figure out where "My Photo Stream" is on your Mac..........

Right - done some research.

1. Make sure that on your Mac > System Preferences > iCloud > and alongside "Photos", click on "Options" and you should see this with the boxes checked as shown:

S1.png

Click on Done

2. Then Open Photos app > Preferences > iCloud again - see if you can see My Photo Stream.

If not, then in Mojave, it may appear in your Sidebar on the left under Library as in this screenshot taken from an Apple site:

Screen Shot 2019-02-10 at 10.35.27 pm?.png

One or other should work. I suspect it is under Library as in the screenshot.

Please post back.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Never mind, brain cramp.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I'm trying to learn how to attach a screen print I hope this turns out.

See if this helps as a brief illustrated guide:

Screen Shot 2019-02-10 at 8.40.10 PM.png

- Patrick
======

OP
KennyC
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ian when I do your suggestion in #5 all I have is iCloud Photos & Shared Albums no my photo stream. so I guess they must have removed that option.

Patrick, I did that but as you can see from post how large it is compared to the following post by Ian. Will have to work on that.

Edit: Patrick should you clear your desktop to just what you want a screen print of to keep it small?

Last edited:

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Kenny,

Ian when I do your suggestion in #5 all I have is iCloud Photos & Shared Albums no my photo stream. so I guess they must have removed that option.

And it's not even seen in Photos, in the sidebar Under Library as in my last Screenshot - which, as I said, I "borrowed" from an Apple Support website which dealt with "My Photo Stream" not being seen in macOS Mojave?

It really needs one of our members with Mojave to have a look in their Photos app. I run macOS High Sierra so I can't do that. I'm just astonished that is "lost" or "removed" in Mojave because it's been there since the beginning of Photos, some years ago.

Sorry not to have helped more.

Ian

OP
KennyC
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ian, no problem. You help is always greatly appreciated regardless.:) I have no "My Photo Stream" on any of my devices or under library either it stops at imports, so it must have been removed or I misconfigured something but it seemed straight forward setting up and transferring from win box.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here is what Mojave and the latest Photos have, slightly different than Ian's:

The first is from System Preferences, iCloud, Photos, Options

2019-02-11 10.03.31 am.png

And this one is from Photos/Preferences/iCloud
2019-02-11 10.04.19 am.png

On my system I don't use Photo Stream at all. The pictures I take on my iDevices all end up in Photos anyway, and replicate out to all my devices shared through iCloud. PhotoStream is for folks who don't want to store pictures at iCloud. If you use iCloud, just use it for all devices and Photos will stay in sync. (NOTE: If you have a lot of pictures, you probably will have to upgrade the storage at iCloud.)

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your intervention, Jake.

That's very interesting because what you see via System Preferences and what you've demonstrated in Photos > Preferences > iCloud is near enough to what I get on HS.. Yet Kenny is quite sure that My Photo Stream is absent on both - in fact, looking back to #10, he says:

I have no "My Photo Stream" on any of my devices

How can we help him out? I mean, where have they gone? And I presume "any devices" includes his iDevices as well.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
The only difference I see is, Kenny has "Optimize Mac Storage", and others have "Download Originals to this Mac".

I also have the option selected to download originals, but that should not make a difference, as I see it?

OP
KennyC
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is what I have under photos>preferences>General, is something incorrect here?
Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 1.37.03 PM.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Kenny
Patrick, I did that but as you can see from post how large it is compared to the following post by Ian. Will have to work on that.

Edit: Patrick should you clear your desktop to just what you want a screen print of to keep it small?

If it helps, you might want to check out some suggestions like:
How to take a screenshot on your Mac
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201361

If you like to see video instead, try:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbB3Cm2ejkg

Or just use google to search for others.

Once captured you can resize them if needed by opening in Preview and use the Tools(menu) > Adjust size. Then Save and select it in the "Insert Image" window and post.

- Patrick
======

OP
KennyC
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Patrick, I tried using tools to adjust but still came large. I will read the support link you sent, Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Kenny, you need to show us the iCloud tab not the General tab in Photos/Preferences so we can see what your options are there.

To resize images I just use Preview. The Tools option has a resize function. I usually just cut the number of pixels in half, then save the file. That new saved smaller file is what I upload.

OP
KennyC
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Jake it is in reply #4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Kenny, your image and what I am seeing do not match. I'm in Photos 4.0. What version are you running? That's about the only reason I can see for the two options to be different.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Patrick, I tried using tools to adjust but still came large. I will read the support link you sent, Thanks.

As Jake said Kenny, the image needs to be saved after any adjustment, and it's the one you want to upload.

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.