Upgrading iTunes for Mavericks or upgrading Mavericks to Mojave?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Need a little advice. At work we have a 2013 iMac running Mavericks. The reason we have not updated it is because they use it to mix music using ProTools. The version we have is not compatible to newer versions of OS X.

iTunes is out of date so it will not allow access to the store.

Questions:

1. Can iTunes be updated in Mavericks? And if so how... because I can not figure it out.

OR

2. Should I update Mavericks to Mojave and tell them to suck it up and pay the upgrade cost for ProTools?

This iMac is mainly used to play and mix music so web surfing is rare and it does not have any mail accounts. It basically accesses iTunes when on the web.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Is it iTunes or the Mac App Store they want to reach? They should still be able to get to the old MAS. If it is, in fact, iTunes store for iDevices, then what about using something like VirtualBox or Parallels to run a virtual version of macOS that can reach the store?

Frankly, I'd say to them to suck it up and move up, sooner or later they are going to have to do that anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
iTunes is out of date so it will not allow access to the store.

FWIW: I'm running Mavericks 10.9.5 and iTunes 12.6.2 and now have full access to the App Store.

I got there by fluke and posted my method just recently, so I'll get the URL if you need it. It may have been at the ehmac.ca forum site.

EDIT:
Here it is while I remember:
BINGO!!! I just by fluke discovered a way to get the iOS App Store showing in my Mavericks iTunes.
https://www.ehmac.ca/mac-iphone-ipa...ant-see-apps-ios-app-store-2.html#post2680556

Maybe it will work for others, even if not for your users.

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Patrick! I will try to the iTunes update just for fun but I will push for an upgrade to Mojave.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
What version of iTunes are you using?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
By the way, Apple has indicated they are going to shut down iTunes access to the App Store regardless of which version you're currently running. There are several threads over at MacRumors of individuals complaining of this. So.... get what you can from the app store now.

However, all is not lost if you have iMazing 2. It will do the same thing that the older versions of iTunes used to do; that is to save the ipa version of the iOS app to your hard drive.

OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay - I am not sure what version of iTunes. It is whatever would have been installed with Mavericks 10.9.5.

Our problem has to do with purchasing and accessing music. We don't need it for apps - we can use the app store for that. When I click on store no music shows up. I finally did figure out that if I click on browse and then store it will now show music.

If the store will no longer show music and that is what apple will be getting rid of that will be a huge issue. I believe we have an apple music subscription.

Our sound person has figured out a way to download the music he needs on the iPad, create a play list then move the playlist and music to the iMac. Both have the same apple id. I have not had the time to dive into how he worked this out but it got us through a funeral yesterday and church service today.

I will be looking at updating OS X or if that will not work for the sound guy then I will be trying Patrick's suggestion to update iTunes.

I use iMazing but the sound person will have to decide what he wants to do and if he wants to purchase the program.

I appreciate all the suggestions and help. I will post back when I have news. It will be a few days as we are having a snow storm and I won't be going in to work tonight.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
However, all is not lost if you have iMazing 2. It will do the same thing that the older versions of iTunes used to do; that is to save the ipa version of the iOS app to your hard drive.

Without using iMazing 2 and its backup and restore, my wife's newer iPad Air 2 and iPhone 6S would have been left without her Hike & Bike.app that's no longer available from the App Store. Not even in any Apple archive either nor from the actual developer.

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.