Irritating Mail Issue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio M1 Max 2022 32 Gb RAM, 512 Gb SSD; MacBook Pro 14" 2021 M1 Pro Both on Ventura 13.1
I am running 10.14.2 on both iMac and MBPro. All is OK on the MBPro but the iMac is not picking up some mail items that have arrived on either the MBPro or my iPhone.

Asking it to get mail doesn't work but quitting Mail and starting it again delivers the message(s) every time. It's limited to the iMac and mail seems to be operating fine on all other devices.

Grateful for any suggestions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Could you have some junk filters operating on the iMac?

OP
spock999
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio M1 Max 2022 32 Gb RAM, 512 Gb SSD; MacBook Pro 14" 2021 M1 Pro Both on Ventura 13.1
Could you have some junk filters operating on the iMac?

Nothing different between it and the MBPro. Surely if that was the issue. quitting and restarting Mail wouldn't resolve the problem.

Reaction score
Have you tried removing your email account from the Mail app on the iMac and then adding it back again? Perhaps also try restoring the default settings for the app.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I've held back from responding because my situation and solution may be related to me rather than generalised.

Anyway, I had the same problem with my iMac sunning macOS High Sierra. No mail. Quit Mail. Restart Mail, all ok.

Then I found the reason - in most cases, I had just before this happened, been using a VPN via my Browser, Safari. Presumably, my "identity" and ISP address weren't recognised by Mail (or at least by my email provider) and even when I disconnected my VPN, it needed a Quit/Restart of the Mail app to restore normality.

I don't suppose this applies to you, spock999?

Since then I've quit Mail before using the VPN and restarted after finishing.

Just a thought.

Ian

OP
spock999
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IWT;Then I found the reason - in most cases said:
Thank you, that is interesting. I don't use a VPN but it is possible that there is some interaction with something else. I had a similar problem with Jigsaws Galore (something I use on occasion to while away the time!!) where having saved the window using the yellow button at the top left when I clicked on it in the dock it brought up the last app I had been using rather than Jigsaws Galore. From my programming background it sounded like a bug caused by not exiting properly. Raising it with the developer led to him recognising that it was an issue with the new 64 bit development environment he was using and he gave me a workaround.

It is possible that something else isn't exiting properly (it is unlikely to be Mail as it would probably have been noticed by now) so I shall have to watch carefully to see if I can make any connections.

Thanks Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.