Mac OS X.14.3 Supplemenatl Update.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Overnight Apple issued this OS X.14.3 Supplemental Update of 987.7 MB, a pretty fair old supplement methinks!

The update presented some problems. Downloaded in four to five minutes, and then would not start install, Unable to restart the iMac or shut down. Shut down using the power button, booted and Software Update in System Preferences advised this update was available. Clicked 'download' began.

Total install time was around 15 minutes with restart. Funny thing is no information available as to what the update contained.

Late edit: Seems to do with Facetime.

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT209521

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
There is a matching iOS update to 12.1.4 as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just installed both the Mojave update and the iOS update and had no issues. Also got an update to an installation of High Sierra.

Reaction score
The 10.4.3 update the other week was the first time I had ever experienced an issue with an update. Download went fine, but on the gray install screen after reboot, progress bar was stuck about 1/10 or less of the way for about an hour until I finally decided to manually power off and restart. Went back to Software Update, rebooted again, and then it installed just fine. Will be interesting to see if this supplemental update gives me any trouble tonight.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I checked my High Sierra iMac and my Mojave iMac and no updates found. The Mojave one is in the beta program so the update I got 2 nights ago will probably address what they fixed. Not sure why the HS system though did not find an update. There was one a few days back. Maybe that was the same update.

Reaction score
I checked my High Sierra iMac and my Mojave iMac and no updates found. The Mojave one is in the beta program so the update I got 2 nights ago will probably address what they fixed. Not sure why the HS system though did not find an update. There was one a few days back. Maybe that was the same update.

There seems to be a bug where it says you're up to date / no updates found, but if you keep waiting, within 60 seconds it changes to "update available." That's what it's done for me the last 2-3 updates.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Both the iOS and macOS updates address the "Group Facetime bug". Apple had already blocked "Group Facetime" discussions after they admitted to the bug for which they kept quiet about for a week. :sd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There seems to be a bug where it says you're up to date / no updates found, but if you keep waiting, within 60 seconds it changes to "update available." That's what it's done for me the last 2-3 updates.
Not a bug, I think, just a delay in getting a response from the server at a Apple. It apparently has a cache where the result of the previous check is held, so it says up to date until it hears otherwise. Given how busy the servers probably are, it can take a while for that response to get back. Note that after the update, it again says your system is up to date.

Reaction score
Not a bug, I think, just a delay in getting a response from the server at a Apple. It apparently has a cache where the result of the previous check is held, so it says up to date until it hears otherwise. Given how busy the servers probably are, it can take a while for that response to get back. Note that after the update, it again says your system is up to date.

Whatever you want to call it, it's not a good thing to have the window say "Checking for updates" and then change to "You're Mac is up to date" before it actually receives a response from the server. The average Joe is just going to close the window and move on thinking they're up to date when they're actually not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
True, but then that is what happens with iOS updates all the time. At least for me. So I've learned to give it some time to sort out what's really going on.

Reaction score
True, but then that is what happens with iOS updates all the time. At least for me. So I've learned to give it some time to sort out what's really going on.

When macOS updates were through the App store, this was never an issue. Also, every time there's a new iOS update, it notifies me with a pop up as soon as I plug my iPhone in.

I've also noticed that although I had "Automatically keep my Mac up to date checked" (along with all the options under "Advanced"), I had to manually check for this supplemental update - it had not already downloaded or installed as it should have.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I read a few years ago that Apple has multiple servers in locations all over the country (and in fact, the world) where these updates are deployed and that not all of the servers get the updates at the same time, which was supposed to explain why some users see updates before others. Given how fast electrons move, it didn't seem logical, but that was the story and I guess they are sticking with it.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Honestly there doesn't seem to be any consistency about at at all for us. I had to check Softwate Update on my MBP before the most recent update showed. Admittedly it was the same day it was released. My wife's iPhone 7 continues to have updates downloaded to her phone without auto update turned on and mine usually just shows a numeral one on my System Preferences icon. In my case I have to click Download and Install with my wife it's just Install.

Sent from my iPhone

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Like I said above, I will never see the update on my Mojave system as I am in .4 now testing it for Apple. I am sure that has the fix in it.

Still nothing showing though on the High Sierra Mac and I have clicked it 100x now! :D I have a feeling the High Sierra one has been out a few days as I did get one beginning of the week. Harry's link above only mentions Mojave.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Aha, just got the macOS supplemental update now.

Sent from my ageing iPad Mini iOS 9.3.5 Mac-Forums

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.