I just upgraded computers - lost downloads folder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac High Sierra Mac OS 10.13.6
Hi,
Recently, I just got a iMac from a friend (not new but better than what I had) and I'm running macOS Sierra (10.12.6). My old machine was a MacBook.

I'm having trouble locating where downloads end up in my computer. On my old machine, if I downloaded an app or program to use from the internet, the .dmg file would appear on my desktop and I could start the installation process. Now, with the iMac, the downloaded files go somewhere in the computer (no idea where) and I have to use something like Spotlight to find them and drag them to the desktop so I can start installation. I still don't know where they are downloaded to but I'd like to change that and put them where I can find and use them.

Also, on my old MacBook I had a downloads folder in the dock, next to the Trash, separated from the other dock items by a line. On this (new-to-me) iMac, the downloads folder does not appear in the dock. I kinda liked the way it was before on my MacBook and is it possible to set up this iMac the same way? I hunted around in Preferences for both Apple and Safari and couldn't find out how to do these things I'd like to get done.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks,

Bob M.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Okay go to 'Go' in the menu bar and look for 'Downloads' there. Also Documents etc kept filed under there.

Some folks drag the Downloads folder to the Dock where it makes an alias, or 'short cut', to the Application.

Reaction score
What Harry said - or open Finder, click on your home folder, find the Downloads folder there, and drag it to the dock (you can also drag it to your "Favorites" in the sidebar).

home-folder-mac.jpg

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Also, if you open Finder > Preferences > Sidebar, one of the options on the list is "Downloads". Check that box, and the Downloads Folder will appear every time you open Finder, in its Sidebar.

You can then, as Harry advised, click/drag the Downloads Folder to the Dock wherein it will create an alias (shortcut); thus allowing you to view the Downloads Folder in at least two ways - via Finder and the Dock.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I'm having trouble locating where downloads end up in my computer.

I didn't notice it mentioned, but if it is the "Downloads" folder you use with your browser, if you look in the browser preferences, it should give you an option as to which folder you want to use.

No doubt it is currently set to Downloadsfolder (the one in your Users Home folder), but you can easily change it to your Desktop folder, also the one shown in your Users Home folder.

Then they are readily available and you can then deal with them as you wish. Delete after use or move to some appropriate folder, like "Installer Stuff" or whatever might be appropriate.

- Patrick
======

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If DMG files were opening on their own after download you probably had "Open Safe files after Download" checked in Safari. That is something that is NOT recommended at all as some unsafe files might also open and run and mess up your Mac. In older versions of Safari that was checked by default but I do not think the newer versions have it checked. Never check that option.

Do what others have said above.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, I was able to go to the Finder preferences and to the sidebar. The downloads is already checked. As this is a new computer to me and has alot of new stuff that my old MacBook didn't have, where is the sidebar located? and what is it? Sorry I'm so clueless about this iMac. I actually ordered a book this week, about Sierra, to help me out. When I ask about the sidebar in the help pull down menu, it sends me to mission control, which, of course, I also have no clue about. It's kinda like saying the sidebar is the same thing as the square root of 24,698.

Thanks for your help,

Bob M.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Bob, here is Finder:

2019-02-08 04.56.57 pm.png

The sidebar is on the left, the column that has the names of various locations. To view that in Finder, you open Finder, click on Finder on the top or the screen, then Preferences, then Sidebar, and click on the boxes for what you want to show in the Sidebar.

EDIT: One of the options is to show Downloads in the Sidebar, by the way.

EDIT 2: And to see in the right side something from the sidebar, just click on the item in the sidebar and the right will change. So, to see what's IN downloads, click on Downloads and the right side window will show that folder. You can see that I have clicked on Utilities and that is what is showing in the right side. You can actually drag and drop any folder from the right side to the Sidebar and it will be there for you.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Bob.

As you already have Downloads checked in Finder Preferences, Open Finder and from the top menu bar, click on View and "Show Sidebar". In the screen shot below, the arrow points to the item (in my case, as Sidebar is already shown, it says "Hide" instead of "Show")

S1.jpg

Once you've done that, when you Open Finder, the Sidebar will be on the left as in this screenshot:

S2.jpg

That should do it:)

Ian

- - - Updated - - -

Ah, Jake; so are so much faster at typing and cropping images - good on you:wink

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, that's me...no editing pictures, just type faster. It is a race, after all...

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks everyone for all your help and suggestions.

I was able to create an alias in the dock for my downloads folder (very helpful) and the other problem I was having, about viewing the sidebar was solved when I clicked 'show favorites' instead of 'hide favorites'. Then all these new possibilities appeared! Solved!

The .dmg files are not automatically starting upon download. I still have to to click and drag the icon to my applications folder to start installation, as I prefer it to be.

The only thing I'm not clear about is what PM-R said, "No doubt it is currently set to Downloads folder (the one in your Users Home folder), but you can easily change it to your Desktop folder, also the one shown in your Users Home folder."

I would prefer, when downloading app from the internet, if the installation files appeared on my desktop rather than having to search thru my computer to wherever they have been downloaded to. This I have not solved yet.

Thanks for your comments,

Bob M.

P.S. Sorry, not very good at setting some text to italics, either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bob, the downloads should ALWAYS go to your Download folder. The only ones that don't are installers from the Mac App Store, and they go to the Launchpad and install automatically. To change that behavior, you can go to Safari/Preferences/General and change the "File download location" to whatever you want. If you want them on the Desktop, then select "Other" and pick the Desktop. But let me encourage you to leave the downloads in the Downloads folder where it is. You do not want to clutter up your desktop with too many downloaded files. That will slow down the boot process.

Also, .dmg files don't "start," they mount. And if you have the settings for Finder to display all drives in the sidebar, or on the Desktop, the mounted dmg will show there. Normally you do NOT want to drag the dmg to the Applications folder. No need to clutter that up with dmg files. You just want to get the application out of the dmg to the Applications folder, then get rid of the dmg altogether. To mount a dmg, just click on it (it may require a double click, I frankly don't remember).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The only thing I'm not clear about is what PM-R said, "No doubt it is currently set to Downloads folder (the one in your Users Home folder), but you can easily change it to your Desktop folder, also the one shown in your Users Home folder."

I would prefer, when downloading app from the internet, if the installation files appeared on my desktop rather than having to search thru my computer to wherever they have been downloaded to. This I have not solved yet.

If you are using Safari, Open it's preferences and choose your Desktop as shown below. You may have to click "Other" in order to find and select it.
When selected, Desktop should be showing as your selected choice for any Safari downloads.

Other browsers will have similar options.

I hope this helps.

1 Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 11.06.29 AM.png

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But let me encourage you to leave the downloads in the Downloads folder where it is. You do not want to clutter up your desktop with too many downloaded files. That will slow down the boot process.

I do not fully agree with this, especially as so much stuff seems to get saved to the Downloads folder which has a tendency of disappearing for many users.

Just save the file download to the desktop where it's easily accessed, then use it as necessary but file it somewhere appropriate. ie: Installer Stuff folder or somewhere in one's Documents folders. Create a new folder if necessary.

No need to leave stuff cluttering the Desktop, it shoud just act as a tempary landing place. Think aircraft carrier's landing deck!!! :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, but Patrick, there are a lot of things parked on the deck. All the time.

51484446_2274262026164212_5928887943342063616_o.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, but Patrick, there are a lot of things parked on the deck. All the time.

But that's just a leisure cruise with everyone sunbathing and lounging around the pool and I wouldn't expect much catapult activity from that deck is going to get used very much, at least not while they are all lounging about like that.

PS: Neat shot, but it always worries me to see them parked so close to the edge like that.
And as big as those ships are, it still amazes me that those planes can land as well as they do, especially considering the speeds they are flying.

Just for some to think about: just 100mph = 146.6 feet per second!!!

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is a before launch positioning. You get in the aircraft there, start up, taxi to the catapults and launch. That movement then opens up the landing area. Landing aircraft are taxied to the bow area to get out of the landing area for the rest of the airborne folks. Then, while the aircraft are on their missions, all of the aircraft on the bow are towed back aft to repeat the process. That's called a "cycle" and is a ton of work for those guys on the deck who are responsible for movement and tie down. We used to do 7 cycles in 12 hours, each about 1 hour 45 minutes. And you have to park them close to the edge to fit them all in. The tails are normally over the water. It is a tight fit. And the movement is a ballet for big things. Sometimes they are parked just inches apart. Those in the picture are loosely parked. After the last cycle, the parking gets really tight as ALL of the aircraft are aboard.

You get used to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Patrick, here are a couple of more pictures I've found to show the deck. This one is is a bit of a "dress" mode with aircraft carefully position to look good for the picture. Nice picture, though.

51369936_1181558488678537_8933271666302124032_n.jpg

This one is probably either going into or out of port. The entire air wing is on, the parking is tight. Looks like the landing area is open, so what would happen from here is that the aircraft would be towed aft to free up the cats on the bow for launch. BTW, the picture is about half of the air wing. I counted 36 aircraft in the picture, but an air wing can be somewhere between 72 and 100. Some will be on the hangar deck, but that can only hold about 20, max, so the rest must be aft of the island.

51059180_1179035518930834_6163221088428883968_o.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thumbup2.gif Thanks Jake, for the info and the great shots. It all boggles the mind with all that's at stake and how it all works. And just a fair bit of firepower potential. :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.