How can I split a pdf document in landscape format in half?

krs

Reaction score
I have a few pdf documents of varying length, 14 pages, 36 pages 80 pages etc.

The documents are in pdf format with two pages side-by-side, ie first pdf page is pages 1 & 2 of the document, then the next pdf page is page 3 & 4, etc.
I basically want to cut each page in half so in the end I will have a pdf document with twice as many pages as before.

I have Adobe Acrobat 9 pro and have done a few documents the hard way by cropping the part of each page I don't want and then reassembling them into a new pdf.
Works fine but is boring as heck and takes a lot of time.

When I search for a better way, I either come across suggestions to use the "Vertical split line" button which I can't find on my version of Acrobat - maybe it doesn't have it, or go to an on-line service that does it for free, except the ones I found so far are only laid out for standard "A" (European format)

Any ideas what to do to streamline this job?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Don't do much with pdfs or Adobe Acrobat but will changing the format to portrait not rearrange so it's one per page?

OP
krs

krs

Reaction score
Thanks for the comment, but no, changing format just flips the page by 90 degrees.

This is not a "view" issue, the two pages side-by-side are a single pdf page that needs to be split down the centre vertically.

I tried one of the free on-line services late last night - www.sejda.com - that worked except for the change to A4 format which maybe I can live with, but the split pages also came back to me totally out of order, just as a random set.
So I had to open each one to see which page it was, place them in the right order and create a new pdf.
Certainly faster than me doing the cropping of each page manually; sorting them was not too bad since each page had a page number, but some documents don't show a page number on every single page and then this would become rather timeconsuming trying to find the page in the original document to figure out where it goes in the new document.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
If there's a version for Mac, Bluebeam Revu can do what you want, I think.

OP
krs

krs

Reaction score
I just downloaded the trial version of Bluebeam Revue Mac version to try.

After providing all sorts of information about myself and my company, I installed the application - so far so good.
But when I try to use it it comes back with the message that I need macOS 10.12 or later - I'm using 10.11 and have no plans to update right now.
Why the heck could they not have mentioned those minimum macOS requirements on their website before I downloaded anything?
When I run into these types of issues with a company I always think this is a one or two man garage operation.

BTW - they also want $199.- for the Mac version after the trial, something I noticed just now when I was double checking if I missed the minimum S/W requirements somewhere on their website.

OP
krs

krs

Reaction score
Turns out that even the latest version of Adobe Acrobat does not provide that capability.
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2001370

I'm going to stick with the www.seida.com option - a number of suggestions in the above adobe thread only work with Windows and I'm also not willing to pay $40.- for something that I will only use a dozen times and which (IMHO) should have been part of Adobe Acrobat in the first place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Just be careful at macupdate.com. They have been known to bundle crapware along with their downloads. They claim they have "cleaned up" that mess, but you need to be aware that in the past they have been somewhat dodgy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
krs

krs

Reaction score
I have to agree it's really annoying when they do that.

But maybe this and for only $5.00 might work for you:
PDFGenius.app
https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/48757/pdfgenius

If that doen't work, peruse here for others:
https://www.macupdate.com/find/mac/modify pdf

Thanks, I have tried quite a few of these pdf applications but I have not fond a single one that actually splits a pdf page.
Many advertise a "split" option, one even syas "Split Page", but when you come down to it, they mean split a multi-page pdf file into either single or groups of pages, not actually split a single pdf page.
I can do that pdf file splitting with Preview - don't need anything other than that.

Using the website I posted earlier to split single pdf pages works very well - one can split vertically which I do most of the time, I also did one where I split vertically - that worked great as well.
The split pages coming back out of sequence only happened in my largest pdf so far which had 36 pages - for smaller ones, up to about 12 pages so far, the single split pages are in the right sequence.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 15", Original iPad, iPad 6, iPhone 5
I've got Adobe Pro 10. Can you go to Tools, Recognize Text. OCR Then just save as a new file? Depends on the original how well this works.

OP
krs

krs

Reaction score
I don't see how this could work.

To start with, when I try Adobe OCR I get a message that Adobe cannot perform OCR because the page has graphics on it, OCR can only be done if there is nothing except text and images.
Assuming the page only has text and images and OCR can be performed (I have dne that many times before for other reasons), how can you select only half the page to run OCR?
And finally, even if one could figure that out, one would still have to the pages one at a time.

I have come across people on the web that offer scripts to do this function, but then others claim those scripts don't work or are too restrictive.
One option for the Mac would be to use Automator and essentially do what I did in the past - open each page, cut the right side and save, then cut the left side and save, do that for all pages and then create a new pdf.
But for me using that website works just fine.

It's actually interesting how many people are looking for this function, yet no version of any pdf "manipulator" that I have come across offers it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But for me using that website works just fine.

It's actually interesting how many people are looking for this function, yet no version of any pdf "manipulator" that I have come across offers it.

I'm glad you found a solution and no doubt why they are in business — doing what no available software can do.

Seems to me a nicer way of doing it and saves a lot of time and work rather than spending similar amounts of money on software and having to do the work yourself.

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.