Maintain data on phone during first connection to iTunes

Reaction score
So here's the situation:

My wife got a new iPhone X, but the people at the store didn't let us know that she'd have to upgrade to El Capitan to synchronize the device. Her Mac is capable of running EC, but we never got around to upgrading it. So I attempted to upgrade her Mac, but the upgrade kept failing. We have since upgraded her Mac and iTunes recognizes her phone, but now we have a new dilemma - she's been using the phone for a good while, and she has data on there she wants to keep. The problem is, when she connects her phone to iTunes, she has two choices: Restore from Backup or Set Up as a New Phone, both of which will erase the data she currently has on her device.

Has anyone been in this situation and found a way around it? I know I can get the pictures off the phone, but it's the notes that I'm worried about.

Cheers!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Very simple, just enable iCloud backup on the phone. Go to Settings->Your Name (on top)->iCloud->iCloud Backup. Turn the backup on if you haven't already. Then click on Back Up Now and let it finish. Once it's done, allow iTunes to restore from the iCloud backup you just created and iTunes will be happy and everything on the phone will be back to where it was.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Has anyone been in this situation and found a way around it? I know I can get the pictures off the phone, but it's the notes that I'm worried about.

I would very strongly suggest you spend the money on iMazing.app, at least for iOS backups and save yourself aggravation and save ALL your data and apps usings their software.
https://imazing.com/
https://imazing.com/download

I'll withhold my caustic comments about the store staff and their knowledge.
I wonder what they thought iPhone users did before the days of El Capitan!!!! Gheese...idiots!!! :(

- Patrick
======

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
It is possible to operate an iPhone purely without ever connecting it to iTunes, and as such carrier (AT&T, T-Mobile, etc) stores will never bother informing you about the need to ensure your Mac is up to date for syncing. The Apple Stores might ask if you intend to sync to iTunes and suggest an update, but might not.

Reaction score
Setup as new doesn't erase anything. It is in context to set up a new device in iTunes. Not exactly setting your iPhone as new.

Hope that helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.