• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

fixing computers for profit. got any good tips to share?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
anyone here work on computers as a side job or their main job? any good tips you can recommend? what services to offer? how to find clients? did you work remotely or travel to clients location? did you charge hourly or flat rate? did you make clients sign any agreements first to protect yourself legally from any liability?

I did this years ago but I'm a little rusty now. thought about trying it again but wanted to toss some ideas around first.

I'm not really thinking of starting a business, that would imply renting retail space and hiring people. I'm talking in terms of a one person operation here. Just me. :)

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
admins feel free to delete this dead post. :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
anyone here work on computers as a side job or their main job? any good tips you can recommend? what services to offer? how to find clients? did you work remotely or travel to clients location? did you charge hourly or flat rate? did you make clients sign any agreements first to protect yourself legally from any liability?

I'm not really thinking of starting a business, that would imply renting retail space and hiring people. I'm talking in terms of a one person operation here. Just me. :)

I'm seeing a confusing mix of info here. One one hand I'm seeing info on how to get started...but then I'm also seeing "I'm not really thinking of starting a business".

If you're talking "services" & "clients"...these are pretty formal "business-like" words. If you're really just looking to make some cash on the side...and the relationships are very informal & random...then you're probably posting on Craig's List & sseing what sort of responese you get.

If you've done this in the past...not really much has changed.:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree with Nick. Years ago when I had the patience and time, I repaired electronic consumer items on the side in addition to my regular job. Most of my advertising was strictly word of mouth since that was before Craig's List was around. Never had a legal or liability problem but my part time repair work got to be a real pain when I found myself spending more time rounding up parts, schematics, etc.

Also it wasn't popular with my wife - for many reasons I won't go in to. :goofy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I did this years ago but I'm a little rusty now. thought about trying it again but wanted to toss some ideas around first.

I'm not really thinking of starting a business, that would imply renting retail space and hiring people. I'm talking in terms of a one person operation here. Just me.

It sounds like you've done this type of thing before, but I don't know where you live or your circumstances, but if you are "rusty now", I dare say it's going to take you a lot of work and time to catch up and then longer to get up-to-date!!!

Then there are a lot of extra things to consider to become somewhat competent and things like insurance so when some things made turn South.

Business cards and small ads can work well, and good word-of-mouth reputation of course is excellent, but it could sure backfire fast if you screw up a few times. Bad work news travels fast!!!

Just some thoughts to consider... And I agree with those that Nick and Charlie have already mentioned.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
My advice after spending over 30 yrs. "Dabbling" is "IF YOU TOUCH IT, YOU OWN IT, FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE."

KenK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
My advice after spending over 30 yrs. "Dabbling" is "IF YOU TOUCH IT, YOU OWN IT, FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE."

KenK

Hmmm...??? I think I'd sure have to question what kind or form of Mac fix-it or repair service you ran with that sort of adage. :|

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Hmmm...??? I think I'd sure have to question what kind or form of Mac fix-it or repair service you ran with that sort of adage.

I'm guessing he means that if something goes wrong with the machine down the line, the customer might blame it on you even if it had nothing to do with your services. That's my best guess at least. Maybe he'll return to clarify ;)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I doubt there is enough of a "profit" to made on this purely as a one-person show with a limited client base unless you intend to charge a premium for your services. For Macs especially, most owners tend to get AppleCare coverage for 3 years and use Apple to fix issues. Once they are beyond that, they are likely to go to Apple authorized repair shops or just upgrade to a new machine.

Reaction score
usagora is correct. Replacing a part may fix the first problem but anything else that comes up will be blamed on your repair whether it is software or hardware. PS: i have found that the customer doesn't always tell you all the problems they are having or just don't know they are having them. Just opening the unit up puts you in the position that you were the last person to touch it and responsible for any problem.

KenK

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.