Complicated code for installation of great app for colorization

Reaction score
There is a great application for colorization of old photos that I would love to be able to access. As far as I can tell a chap called Richard zhang has developed what I think is an application (as part of his thesis) and shared it online. However the information on installation he has shared is very complicated and I would think well beyond my mac capabilities. My question is for the peeps on here who understand coding. Can this be actually be installed on MAC if you have the know how? And if so what type of professional should I seek out to help me install this app (if that is what indeed it actually is). I'm on high sierra

This is the instructions for installation

https://github.com/richzhang/colorization-pytorch

and this is what the application can actually do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL5ilZgM89Q&feature=youtu.be

It’s a fantastic application I just wish it was something I could actually purchase and install simply. Not sure why this guy hasn’t gone all the way with this....I'd buy it!?!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
It's a Python app that uses a couple Python libraries. It isn't meant to be a standalone app, but looking at the instructions on the Github page seems pretty straightforward (at least to me).

Python is already installed on your machine, but pip (the package manager) isn't, so you'll have to get that. Most people do it through Homebrew, but you are now getting into an area that you might not be comfortable with.

OP
A
Reaction score
It's a Python app that uses a couple Python libraries. It isn't meant to be a standalone app, but looking at the instructions on the Github page seems pretty straightforward (at least to me).

Python is already installed on your machine, but pip (the package manager) isn't, so you'll have to get that. Most people do it through Homebrew, but you are now getting into an area that you might not be comfortable with.

Thank you this is actually really informative... I got pip installed thanks to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBdZZGPpYxg

I done it via terminal

So would I now used homebrew? and try and follow the instructions on Github ? Or is this just not the sort of thing I could follow?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you got PIP installed without HomeBrew, then you follow the instructions on the Github page and the rest should work. You should also have Git on your machine, so you don't have to do anything.

OP
A
Reaction score
If you got PIP installed without HomeBrew, then you follow the instructions on the Github page and the rest should work. You should also have Git on your machine, so you don't have to do anything.

I think I am managing to install everything one by one but (I sure this will sound stupid) ...what is the actual end package/app I should hope to open in order to edit the photos? All of this is new to me :Confused:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There will be no app. :) Once you get the various components installed, there will be a script that you can use to teach the system about your pictures. Once you train the software, another command will start a local web browser that you will use your browser to connect to and then you will see the UI that you have seen in the Youtube video.

Since this is a research project, it's going to be very targeted and not meant for generic commercial use. I hope that dropping pictures into one of the folders will make it use it, but you will find it lacks any sort of polish or user friendliness since that isn't the focus of the creator.

You will be doing all the work on the Terminal.

OP
A
Reaction score
There will be no app. :) Once you get the various components installed, there will be a script that you can use to teach the system about your pictures. Once you train the software, another command will start a local web browser that you will use your browser to connect to and then you will see the UI that you have seen in the Youtube video.

Since this is a research project, it's going to be very targeted and not meant for generic commercial use. I hope that dropping pictures into one of the folders will make it use it, but you will find it lacks any sort of polish or user friendliness since that isn't the focus of the creator.

You will be doing all the work on the Terminal.

ah OK I made the mistake that there would be some kind of User Interface because the tutorials had a specific package UI something called icolor. I am afraid its useless to me unless it has an interface. I was hoping to use it to work quickly and save time bu thanks for all your input.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ah OK I made the mistake that there would be some kind of User Interface because the tutorials had a specific package UI something called icolor. I am afraid its useless to me unless it has an interface. I was hoping to use it to work quickly and save time bu thanks for all your input.

Since you've already started, I say go through to the end and see what you get. I might be totally wrong and you might be pleasantly surprised, anything is possible. :)

OP
A
Reaction score
I suppose going back to my original question of.... is this something that can actually be installed (as an application). I am looking for this app to have GUI (like what is in the tutorial). If not then I am wasting my time as I am not a coder. it seems like from the post that Richard is sharing his knowledge on how to install but i'm not sure as I have no understanding of coding.

this is his GUI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL5i...ature=youtu.be

and this is what I think the instructions are to install it ??

https://github.com/richzhang/colorization-pytorch

i have already given this all of yesterday trying to install something that i'm not sure is even an application. Does anybody have any input on where or not a I am wasting my time given that I am after an actual application as my end goal?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Restating the question you posted to start this thread doesn't do you or anyone any good. As I stated (as a software engineer), this was somebody's school work and the purpose to do some analysis work on colorization of pictures. It was not meant to be a easily installable application that anyone could run. So if you aren't interested in seeing what this will yield, but more interesting in apps you can just install, look at these:

https://www.codijy.com/
ColorStokes
ColorMagic

OP
A
Reaction score
thanks a million for finding these app...I didn't have any luck with my own search and assumed that the one I found was the only thing available. These are a much more workable option for me. Thanks again!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.