No support for 32 bit applications

Reaction score
2017 MacBook Pro, running High Sierra.
I have been postponing an update to Mojave because it will not support my 32 bit applications like iWeb, which has been quite adequate for my modest website. I realize I'll soon have to re-build my website with some other solution. Any suggestions for web building software that does not entail monthly subscription fees? Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Any suggestions for web building software that does not entail monthly subscription fees? Thanks!

What about solutions that don't have monthly fee's...but does have a one-time purchase price?

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
Web solutions

What about solutions that don't have monthly fee's...but does have a one-time purchase price?

- Nick
I should have mentioned that I prefer a one-time purchase price... but most web solutions appear to be subscriptions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
I thought Mojave still allowed 32 bit applications? Whatever macOS 10.15 is, will not support 32 bit applications.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I thought Mojave still allowed 32 bit applications? Whatever macOS 10.15 is, will not support 32 bit applications.

That is correct, Mojave will give you a warning and is the last version that will support 32-bit apps.

OP
G
Reaction score
OK, that's reassuring. I read a post on an Apple thread which indicated any OS after High Sierra would not support 32-bit:

new web.jpeg

Reaction score
OK, that's reassuring. I read a post on an Apple thread which indicated any OS after High Sierra would not support 32-bit

I can confirm that I'm using multiple 32-bit apps on macOS 10.14.3 without issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I should have mentioned that I prefer a one-time purchase price... but most web solutions appear to be subscriptions.

Great...then I may have a solution for ya. According to an article I was reading regarding iWeb...the last update the iWeb app received was back in July, 2011. In this article is mentions an app that they're calling the "spiritual successor" to iWeb is an app called "Everweb". I guess Everweb is supposed to work, act, and feel similar to iWeb.

The article I was reading seems to have been written by what looks like an independant author...and not by someone trying to sell Everweb. And...MacWorld reviewed Everweb...and seems to consider it a pretty good app.

Here's a link to Everweb. It has a one-time purchase price of $79.99.:)

https://www.everwebapp.com/pricing.html

There are other webpage apps out there in this price range...but it sounded like you were looking for something as close to iWeb as possible...which this Everweb app sounds like it is.

HTH,

Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The app (Sparkle) member usagora mentioned was one of the other options I came across as well.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many to mention, started in 1985
everweb is a nightmare

Reaction score
2017 MacBook Pro, running High Sierra.
I have been postponing an update to Mojave because it will not support ... iWeb...Any suggestions for web building software that does not entail monthly subscription fees?

How about FREE?

If you liked iWeb, you'll love this program!

BlueGriffon (free)
BlueGriffon

BlueGriffon is an open source project. There are three versions, and the basic version is free. Unlike commercial software, the free version isn't a demo, it is a full featured product. The two commercial step up versions add very specialized features strictly for professionals, such as the ability to create EPUB's. You very likely don't need them.

All that you have to do is go to the BlueGriffon Web site and click on "Download" to get the entirely free product. Or you can download it directly from:
http://bluegriffon.org/freshmeat/3.0.1/bluegriffon-3.0.1.mac-x86_64.dmg

Free video tutorial series:
(The tutorial does not use the Mac version of the program, but the program is virtually identical across platforms.)
YouTube
YouTube
Other free BlueGriffon tutorials:
YouTube

BlueGriffon's user manual is commercial (not free), but it's not necessary if you view the above tutorial.

Now, here's the best thing about BlueGriffon...it can do something that very few other WYSIWYG Web site creation programs can do...it can import existing Web sites in HTML format. Why is that important? Because if you have previously been using a program that is basically a page layout program with an HTML converter on top of it you can only export your existing Web site in either a proprietary format that nothing else can open, or you can export your Web site in HTML format. So, using BlueGriffon you can migrate from any other Web site creation program.

Even better, you can suck down the raw HTML from any existing site on the Web using something like SiteSucker, and use it as a template/starting point for your project. Basically this means that you have access to an unlimited number of free templates!

Some tips for using BlueGriffon:

1. When you first open it, the interface will look terrible. Don't get discouraged. Do this:
BlueGriffon menu --> Preferences --> General tab --> Theme -> enable "Light"
The interface will now look world's better!

2. The sidebar in the program isn't active by default. In the Panels menu choose Style Properties, and you should instantly get a sense of the value of the sidebar.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
So galvinise, you may well find a replacement for iWeb out the above suggestions that will run on Mojave but please bear in mind that although Mojave does run 32bit apps you will get a once only notification which states "This app is not optimised for macOS" and some apps will require updates despite remaining 32bit.
I would strongly suggest that prior to upgrading to Mojave you create a bootable clone of your Macintosh HD using either of the two most popular alternatives, SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner. Both offer fully functional trials, even if you only use them once it's great insurance should you need to revert/restore to High Sierra.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.