Free software to recover files deleted from trash

Reaction score
Randy, Disk Utility will do it, at least in Mojave. When you opt to erase a disk, there is a box labelled "Security Options" where you can opt for how secure the erase should be.

He did say "unless you set it to do a secure erase," which is what you are describing. But I disagree with him that such a format would necessarily take "a very long time," as there are several security options (as you imply). The single pass of zeros, for example, doesn't take an unreasonable amount of time in my opinion.

krs

Reaction score
Randy, Disk Utility will do it, at least in Mojave. When you opt to erase a disk, there is a box labelled "Security Options" where you can opt for how secure the erase should be.
AFAIK there were always a number of different security options when erasing using Disk Utility.
I just looked at El Capitan - you get is a slider with "fastest" at one end and "most secure" at the other end with two options in-between, so four options total

Reaction score
AFAIK there were always a number of different security options when erasing using Disk Utility.
I just looked at El Capitan - you get is a slider with "fastest" at one end and "most secure" at the other end with two options in-between, so four options total

Yes, there have been for as long as I can remember, although I believe there used to be 1 or 2 additional options that are no longer there. The "fastest" is the default setting which offers no security.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Yes, he did say, "unless you set it to do a secure erase," but I just wanted later readers of this thread to be aware that it CAN be done with Disk Utility. And if you select anything other than the default, the "wipe" will make recovery next-to-impossible.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.