Free software to recover files deleted from trash

Reaction score
Hello, I want to recover a file deleted from trash. I downloaded the rial version of Easus which found the file but then asked me to 'upgrade' to actually recover the file (103€).

Is there a free program which will actually restore the file (not just find it) or a program cheaper than Easus?

Thanks in advance.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Data recovery can be a very complex process. Every program that I can think of is in the same price range.I'm most familiar with Data Rescue and Disk Drill Pro. Both are in the $80.00 - $100.00 US range. Both programs have free trials but you need the paid version for recovery.

Whatever you do use the drive that has the file as little as possible until you decide what to do. The more times the drive is written to the more likely it is that the files you want will be overwritten by new information.

Last edited:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Determine how much the file is worth recovering and if the program is actually capable of doing it and the price is below your value of the file (or files), then pay for it and don't try to rationalize the price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Both programs have free trials but you need the paid version for recovery.

Some of those programs used to have an option that allowed saving X number of files in demo mode.

I don't know if the same thing still exists with their current versions or not.

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't know if the same thing still exists with their current versions or not.

Not for the two programs mentioned by Slydude. But there are other programs that can recover deleted files provided they have not been overwritten. He needs to keep looking if he wants free. And he has already posted the exact same question in MacRumors.

Reaction score

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Am I correct in thinking that data recovery from Trash is more problematic than data recovery from a failing HD? Or is that just one of these myths that I've picked up somewhere?

And, we must presume that the OP doesn't have a backup plan? Time Machine does not BU the Trash Folder. That is well established, but deleted files can be recovered from TM if one goes back to a time prior to their placement in Trash. TM's principal strength is the recovery of inadvertently deleted data.

Ian

Reaction score
Am I correct in thinking that data recovery from Trash is more problematic than data recovery from a failing HD? Or is that just one of these myths that I've picked up somewhere?

The main problem in trying to recover something that's been trashed is that the space on the hard drive occupied by that data has been flagged as available to the system for use to write new data. So if one continues to use their Mac for a while after trashing something, eventually it will be written over and become entirely unrecoverable.

A failing hard drive doesn't have this problem, but it may have a different sort of problem, where the directory becomes damaged and files can't be easily identified. In that case the files can still likely be recovered, but they may appear to be generic once recovered, and so it might take a lot of work to identify the recovered files.

That's all why it's much preferable to have a recent backup to recover from.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Thank you, Randy.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's all why it's much preferable to have a recent backup to recover from.

And actually having several different backups is certainly not excessive or a bad idea. Even with staggered backup updates.

- Patrick
======

krs

Reaction score
Data recovery can be a very complex process. Every program that I can think of is in the same price range.I'm most familiar with Data Rescue and Disk Drill Pro. Both are in the $80.00 - $100.00 US range. Both programs have free trials but you need the paid version for recovery.

Has anyone ever used a program like that? I have not.

What I'm wondering about - after you are told that the file has been recovered and you pay the price they request, do you actually get the file? And is it the file you were after?

I once decided I wanted the name a phone number was registered to because of constant nuisance calls.
Went to one of these sites that claim they can find the name the number was registered under, put in the number - the site came back, "Good News - we have identified the number, please send $xx to get the information"
I sent the money - get another message basically saying our experst are working on it, we will have the info in a few days, a few days pass - nothing.
I complain, get another message about a delay...I'm not even sure I ever got the number or my money back (which was their guarantee) - the amount was pretty small, so not worth sweatting over - but I'm wondering if these recovery sites actually did recover the file or are just saying that to collect the fdee and then worry about the recovery.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What I'm wondering about - after you are told that the file has been recovered and you pay the price they request, do you actually get the file? And is it the file you were after?

I once decided I wanted the name a phone number was registered to because of constant nuisance calls.

Those places are completely different and usually a scam. Just like many of the unlocking smartphone scams.

I have used older versions of Data Rescue.app and another I can't recall the name of quite a few years ago and they worked quite well. But they both took a fairly long time as I recall, and then more time to emass the rescued files. Time and patience is a virtue with such rescues.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Has anyone ever used a program like that? I have not.
I have, and it sort-of worked.

The drive on which I used the tools (Data Rescue AND Disk Drill Pro) had been accidentally erased. I first did a sector by sector clone to an exact match drive so I had a backup. Then I used DR first. It spent a very long time (more than 20 hours) grinding away. It did not write the recovered files to the drive, but put them on a separate drive (yes, now we are at three drives involved), so that the original damaged drive would not be altered. At the end, I had a pile of files cleverly named "file00001.txt" through "filexxxxx.txt." No directory structure and no file types, just 500,000+ files named "file." I spent some time opening each one in turn to see what they might be. An awful lot of them were what I would call "work files" in that they showed just part of a file. For example I had several dozen versions of a jpg that I had edited in Preview. Each version showed just a part of the image. Top, middle, bottom, 1/3, 2/3, etc. Never did find the full image as I gave up looking on the drive. Tried Disk Drill Pro on the drive, went through the same process, got basically the same result. I still have the recovered files on that drive they got written to, but I don't have time to spend to go searching through 500,000+ files to see if anything is recoverable. So, do the recovery tools work? Depends on the definition of "work," and how badly damaged the drive may be. If all that has happened is that one file is erased, and if the drive is otherwise working, and if nothing has overwritten either the file or the directory space, then yes, you can recover, most likely. But if the drive is totally wiped, or the directory is totally damaged, then while they will "recover" something, it won't be useful and will require a LOT of time to piece back together into something usable.

For the OP, it may be recoverable, if the directory space is intact where the data on that file was kept and if the disk sectors where it was stored are still not written over. The longer the system is in use the less likely it will be. And to be careful, the OP should use some OTHER drive to download the tool, install it there and run it from that place to the drive where the file was. Otherwise, the simple download and install of the tool may overwrite the very data that needs to be recovered. If it's on the internal boot drive, that may well mean using a separate system and target disk mode, if the tool supports it.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
My experience withe the two programs is sinilar to yours Jake. Thousands of files to be sorted through with little or no discernable pattern to start stitching things back together. I think that how the file was deleted might make a difference in the sence thzt recovering a file or two was a bit less of a hassle and there were fewer pieces to dig through.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sly, that's a good assessment, and if it's just a few files deleted from trash, it might be recoverable. But every time it boots the chances go down. But a wiped drive is, for the average user, gone. I haven't used any of the recovery service companies, so I don't know if they just hand you a bunch of "filexxxxx.txt" files like the tools give, or if they can recover some portion of the filenames and structure. At their prices, you'd expect something more than just generic names and no structure.

Reaction score
Sly, that's a good assessment, and if it's just a few files deleted from trash, it might be recoverable. But every time it boots the chances go down. But a wiped drive is, for the average user, gone.

It really depends on how the drive is "wiped." If the drive is just reformatted, chances are that all that happened is that the directory was deleted and every block on the drive was made available for writing to. As long as nothing is done with the drive, all of the data is still on it and recoverable.

If a secure erase was done, then your data is gone with the Schwinn, as they say.

I haven't used any of the recovery service companies, so I don't know if they just hand you a bunch of "filexxxxx.txt" files like the tools give, or if they can recover some portion of the filenames and structure. At their prices, you'd expect something more than just generic names and no structure.

DriveSavers (spits on the floor at the mention of the name), will charge you thousands of dollars and will only give you back files of the type that you agree with them to recover. No applications will be recovered and no restored hierarchy.

$300 Drive Recovery
http://www.300dollardatarecovery.com
for only hundreds of dollars, will likely hand you a drive that is a perfect clone of your drive before it died or was wiped, or they will recovery whatever it is that you lost if it hasn't been over-written.

It's interesting to note that Drive Savers' Yelp reviews aren't quite as good as $300 Drive Recovery's. Most folks were very happy with Drive Savers' work, but read all of the one-star reviews:
https://www.yelp.com/biz/drivesavers-data-recovery-novato
https://www.yelp.com/biz/300-data-recovery-los-angeles

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Randy, I agree. If the drive was just erased, the directory information should still be there, just marked as available instead of in use. However, when I say "wiped" I'm thinking more along the lines of repartitioned and reformatted. That kind of action usually destroys the data in the directory area, even if it's not a secure format with overwrites. In my experience, just a repartition and reformat will pretty much send all the data down the river. I suppose one could get lucky, but as I said, the (fortunately) very few times I've done that, it was all gone.

Reaction score
Randy, I agree. If the drive was just erased, the directory information should still be there, just marked as available instead of in use. However, when I say "wiped" I'm thinking more along the lines of repartitioned and reformatted. That kind of action usually destroys the data in the directory area, even if it's not a secure format with overwrites. In my experience, just a repartition and reformat will pretty much send all the data down the river. I suppose one could get lucky, but as I said, the (fortunately) very few times I've done that, it was all gone.

To my knowledge there are no longer any utilities for the Macintosh (including Disk Utility) that normally do a low level format like that unless you set it to do a secure erase. Such a reformat would take a very long time and would be unacceptable to most users.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Randy, Disk Utility will do it, at least in Mojave. When you opt to erase a disk, there is a box labelled "Security Options" where you can opt for how secure the erase should be.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.