Can't save Excel changes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP macOS Big Sur....iPad Air 2 64gB....iPhone 8+
I'm using the 2008 version of Microsoft Excel version 16 and the save and save as buttons are greyed out. Also if I try to close the file it asks to save. I click yes but get an error that it did not save. It worked find last month. Any suggestions?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I'm terribly sorry I don't have a solution, but I have a suggestion -

When you go into File and the Save/Save As options are greyed out, hold down the Option Key and see if that brings up anything useful in the "Save" category.

Ian

krs

Reaction score
Seems to me you need to upgrade Microsoft Office to run on Mojave which you are using.
This from MacWorld.UK:
Which Microsoft apps won’t work in Mojave?

If you are still running the Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 apps (that’s Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook 2011) you might want to upgrade.

The 2011 versions are all 32-bit apps and Microsoft dropped support for the 2011 suite back in October 2017.

Word 2011
Excel 2011
PowerPoint 2011
Outlook 2011

Your version of Excel is even older than that.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Seems to me you need to upgrade Microsoft Office to run on Mojave which you are using.
This from MacWorld.UK:

Your version of Excel is even older than that.

My version is the most updated version as far as I can tell. Ver 16

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks I tried that. I downloaded it but still not working. It reads version 16.16.6 @2018 Microsoft

krs

Reaction score
Thanks I tried that. I downloaded it but still not working. It reads version 16.16.6 @2018 Microsoft

I'm still not sure if you have downloaded the right release of Microsoft Excel
Under "About Excel" it should say something like
Microsoft® Excel® for Mac 2016
Version.......

Other question - did the "Save as ...." for this release of Excel 2008 ever work with your Mojave macOS?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
To confirm the posts by krs;

Office for Mac comes as 2008, 2011, 2016 and 2019. There is also the 365 subscription service.

There is no 2018 version of Office for Mac.

Ian

PS Did you try the Option key suggestion?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Is this happening with just one file or all your Excel files? Have you tried creating a new file, making changes to it, then saving? If that works, you might want to simply copy/paste the contents from the existing file to a new file.

And even so, I agree it's high time to upgrade to a later version of MS Office. If you use the MS Office applications frequently, I'd highly recommend an Office 365 subscription (yearly), which ensures you always have the latest versions, and you get either 1 user + 1 TB OneDrive storage (Office 365 Personal) or 6 users + 1TB OneDrive storage per user (Office 365 Home). Office 365 also includes free phone/chat support for as long as you remain a subscriber. However, if you don't want to go the subscription route, there's also Office Home & Student 2019 (one-time purchase - can only be installed on one Mac - does not include OneDrive storage and support is limited to 60 days).

https://products.office.com/en-US/compare-all-microsoft-office-products?tab=1

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I have Office365 and my version of Excel is 16.21.1. Just for information.

2019-02-04 01.59.57 pm.png

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's happening to any excel sheet. PP and Word work just fine. It's weird. I don't use the program often but maybe you're correct and I should upgrade.

Is this happening with just one file or all your Excel files? Have you tried creating a new file, making changes to it, then saving? If that works, you might want to simply copy/paste the contents from the existing file to a new file.

And even so, I agree it's high time to upgrade to a later version of MS Office. If you use the MS Office applications frequently, I'd highly recommend an Office 365 subscription (yearly), which ensures you always have the latest versions, and you get either 1 user + 1 TB OneDrive storage (Office 365 Personal) or 6 users + 1TB OneDrive storage per user (Office 365 Home). Office 365 also includes free phone/chat support for as long as you remain a subscriber. However, if you don't want to go the subscription route, there's also Office Home & Student 2019 (one-time purchase - can only be installed on one Mac - does not include OneDrive storage and support is limited to 60 days).

https://products.office.com/en-US/compare-all-microsoft-office-products?tab=1

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.