Why can't I color the entire table in this word doc?

Reaction score
I'm using Word for Mac 2008, and I'm trying to shade an entire column. Except, I can't shade the entire thing, and the sides of my writing is getting cut off. THIS IS DRIVING ME NUTS!

Any advice? I feel like this must be easily fixable but I can't figure it out. When I'm in the program, everything looks OK but when I export to Pdf or print, that's when it gets funky.

I've attached a Pdf of what it looks like and a copy of the word doc. Any ideas?

View attachment help me word.doc

View attachment wonky doc.pdf

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 15", Original iPad, iPad 6, iPhone 5
Word and your printer have default margins. You can never print or colour to the very edges of the page. If you look at print preview in Word you will see those margins. That's what is really there and how it will print. When you make it a .pdf the margin comes into effect also.

To solve this problem you need to slide the far left margin indicators to the right. How far? Check print preview again.

I have Word 2008 too.

Reaction score
Well, I'm not using Office 2008 (I'm using the most current version), but when I open your help me word.doc file, press CMD + P to pull up the print dialogue, and then at the bottom left click on the PDF drop-down menu and select Save as PDF, the pdf export looks exactly like the Word document (see attached pdf file). Is that the method you're using to export to PDF?

View attachment help me word.pdf

OP
O
Reaction score
I am....and I'm still having the edges in white and not in the blue color of that cell. So frustrating.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
It's a printer limitation and you are NEVER going to find a workaround. The printer will not deposit any ink outside the internal limitations. You need to get a printer that can print color photos at 8.5X11 (or whatever size paper you want to use) and set it up to print the image as a photograph. That may mean saving it somehow as a PDF and then converting to JPG, or PNG or some picture format to fool the printer. Make sure the printer you use will actually print a full image to the size you want. Some will say 8.5X11 but will leave a border around the edge of whatever safety margin they program into the print engine. If you have a printer that can take 11x17, you could lie to it that the paper you are putting in is, say 9 X 11.5 and then see if it will print to the edge. You may have to move the paper in the feed tray over that .25 inch, if it will allow it. If not, you will still get the .25 inch border on the left edge. Or you can print it in the center of the 11x17 sheet and then trim away the white to end up with 8.5x11 colored to the edge.

But if your printer only takes 8.5x11 and has a 1/4 inch no-print zone, you cannot get ink into that zone. Period.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 15", Original iPad, iPad 6, iPhone 5
Hey wait. I just thought of an outside the box solution. Use coloured paper!

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.