Monitor changing resolutions on Restart

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
This is a random problem that has been going on for awhile. Sometimes the Display panel is set to Default for Display, and sometimes it is set to Scaled, picking the first set of resolutions in the window. I know I need to play with it, if I can ever remember when I actually have time. But, how can this be happening? I'd like to make it stop.

I do not have an Apple monitor. It is a "low budget" HannSpree, and is 6 or 7 years old, surviving longer than my first Mini. See Specs at left for my current one. I am running Mojave.

I figured I'd start a new thread instead of adding a separate issue to my thread about the Hard Drive name change. Since I have no idea if this is a hardware or software issue, I picked this forum for convenience. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Have you tried the typical NVRAM or SMC resets?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I do not have an Apple monitor. It is a "low budget" HannSpree, and is 6 or 7 years old, surviving longer than my first Mini.

That monitor is getting pretty old and may have a problem maintaining its default resolution. Might be time to think about replacing it. And you don't need an Apple monitor, just one that is more modern and can give you a stable picture with a higher resolution.

OP
toMACsh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It seems like each time I check the Displays System Preferences pane, it is set to Default for Display, no matter if the images are large or small.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
It seems like each time I check the Displays System Preferences pane, it is set to Default for Display, no matter if the images are large or small.

I'm not sure I completely understand the last part of your sentence above, but Display preferences sets the display resolution, regardless of image size. Also, the operating system, and most applications can change size and magnification independently from the Display preferences.

And as chscag already mentioned that current display is getting old and even cheap monitors have improved drastically over the last several years. It may be time to give your eyes a treat with a new display and maybe things will improve.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
"Default for display" will generate the resolution for that display. "Scaled" will scale the display up or down, to get the resolution you want.

OP
toMACsh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes. When I change resolutions, the size of fonts, etc. changes on the Display. So, no matter what size I see, it's been on default.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Yes. When I change resolutions, the size of fonts, etc. changes on the Display. So, no matter what size I see, it's been on default.

Sorry, and as I said before, I'm still not understanding what the exact problem is.

And is the problem just happening after a restart??? If so, Maybe trashing the Display Preferences Pane .plist file would help fix things.

EDIT:
But I just did a quick Google on that monitor and I would say from the general user comments that replacing it would be your best bet and to just get something that works better. Take a look if you like:
mac HannSpree display
https://www.google.com/search?q=mac...57j69i64l3.11375j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
OP
toMACsh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, after a Restart. I'll try that.

The problem is that sometimes the text and icons on my Desktop appear to be smaller than usual, then next time it will go back to "normal".

The monitor is well over 6 years old, and has served me well so far. Maybe it is time to replace it, but it's not a terrible problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.