Whats the best replacement battery for a 2012 MBP 15" ?

Reaction score
Mine is on 1300 cycle count and gets really hot. I would love to buy OEM but I can only find used. Any suggestions?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try Mac Sales to see if they have a battery for your model. www.macsales.com

Otherwise, go with a new knock off battery from eBay. It might only last 2 years but then again, you might get lucky and come across one that will go a 1000 cycles.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No one but Apple sells an OEM battery. Mac Sales is probably the best aftermarket battery you can buy and it's fully warranted by them. More expensive than the knock off batteries on eBay, but you get what you pay for.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Agree with what chscag mentioned.:)

I recently replaced the battery in my 2011 17" MacBook Pro. I of course knew that buying a low cost replacement battery via eBay or Amazon had it's risks...but since like many people I like to save money...thus I had to try anyway!;) I ended up messing around with THREE replacement battery's purchased via eBay or Amazon:

- The first battery didn't fit properly...and I returned it.
- The 2nd battery & 3rd batteries didn't seem to be "seen" by the computer...since the MacBook Pro was only running at about 20% of it's normal performance (which is what they normally do if you remove the battery completely).

Since these eBay and Amazon purchased replacement battery's had the issues mentioned...I never even got to the point to test them to see if they actually gave close to the normal runtime as the OEM battery. The crazy thing was...these batteries were supposed to be OEM batteries...they had EXACTLY all the same external labeling that my original Apple battery had.

The $30 price of the eBay and Amazon battery's is always very tempting...and that's why I gave it a shot. But in the end I just wasted a lot of time removing & installing the batteries...and all the time wasted shipping & receiving the various batteries purchased.

I finally gave up messing around...paid the $100...and got the replacement battery from macsales.com (which I knew would work). I received it...installed it. It fit perfectly...and has run perfectly.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.