The server does not support secure connections.

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new here and don't know the protocols. So forgive me if I'm in the wrong group for this question.

I just bought a new 13" MacBook and purchased Office Business Premium. I had the Apple guys set up the initial install and now when I tried to send an email for Outlook I received this error message "The server does not support secure connections." What does this mean and more importantly, how do I get past this?

Cheers & thank you in advance,

Paul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
How did you setup your email, who is your email provider, and what type of email account is it - POP or IMAP?

I gather you are using Outlook to get your email - correct? Did you let the wizard setup your email account or did you do it manually?

The error message tells me that when the email account was set up there is an option to check whether or not the server uses what is called an SSL or secure connection. If the server does not then this option needs to be unchecked.

At this point it may be easier to either 1.) Delete the mail account and reset it up letting the wizard set it up for you, or 2.) Have someone knowledgeable set up your mail account for you.

If you have more question post back and provide some more answers to the questions above.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Welcome to the forum, Paul, and congratulations on the new Mac!

What I would suggest is for you to open Outlook and look at the account settings for your email server. That would be in the Preferences under Accounts. You want to make sure the settings there match whatever the settings for your email provider are. Since the error message says that your server doesn't support secure connections, I suspect that the block "Use SSL to connect (recommended)" is checked and your provider doesn't use SSL. But the important thing is to match what your email provider says to have in the setup.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@Paul,

You have been given excellent advice; but I know how difficult it is to hack your way through the jungle of settings within Mail accounts.

So below are a series of screenshots which may help. Clearly, I don’t know what settings your email provider settings are, but I can suggest, by means of these screenshots, where you might look for settings that can be changed.

Firstly, Open Mail , then Mail Preferences (keyboard shortcut is Command plus comma).

This will bring up a window as in this screenshot. S1.jpg

Click on the mail account that you have on the left (in my case, I’ve chosen Btinternet.
The red arrows point to settings that are usually checked as in my case; but sometimes unchecking these will sort things out. If checked, you might consider unchecking them and vice versa.

Next, Click on “Advanced IMAP Settings which will bring up this window. S2.jpg Look at the TLS Certificate. Normally it is None. Then look at the “Allow insecure authentication. This may need to be checked, though it usually isn’t. Click OK.

This brings you back to the window you had before. S3.jpg

Click on Account (red arrow). This will open this window. S4.jpg Choose “Edit SMTP Server list (red arrow).

Here is the window you will now get. S5.jpg

Click on your mail account (again, I’ve chosen Btinternet). The red arrow points to “Automatically manage connection settings”. As before, this is usually checked. See if it is. You might have to uncheck it.

Now Click on Advanced (yellow arrow). This will open this window.

Again, click on your account. Then click on Advanced. Note the settings shown by the red arrows.

See next post for continuation:

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Continuation:

Now Click on Advanced (yellow arrow). This will open this window. S6.jpg

Again, click on your account. Then click on Advanced. Note the settings shown by the red arrows.

These, then, are some of the settings that you may have to consider.

BTW, do make sure that all your password settings are correct in each window.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.