hard drive name changed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
So yesterday I booted up, and my hard drive had an eight-character name composed of symbols, punctuation and two numbers, and there appears to be a space in there too. I restarted, same thing. I shut down last night and restarted again this morning, same name. How did it change by itself? More importantly, should I be concerned? :Oops:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Did you change the name back, in between the restarts/startups? Are you using a standard user account, or an admin account?

OP
toMACsh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No. Is that harmless? Admin account.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I would say that unexpected changes on a drive is never a good thing. What does Disk Utility report? Have you tried First Aid on the drive? Something overwrote the drive name, so the challenge is to find out what did that and how to prevent it again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I believe it is harmless, I was just wondering, if it happened multiple times, or just the once? I wouldn't be concerned, but I'm 75 % of the time in a standard user account. Also, I don't have anything displayed on my desktop.

Is the new hard drive name all located in a small area of the keyboard? Like, maybe you hit enter, and some keys were pressed also?

OP
toMACsh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't see anything of note in Disk Utility, can't even find "First Aid". This is the only time I've noticed this behavior. Most of the characters are close to each other on the keyboard, and there is a direct "path" to them from the Return(Enter) key... the numbers, not so much but not at the other side, sort of in the middle. One character, only one, would require Shift, which is also contiguous with all but the number keys. I don't believe that I have the dexterity to press all of the keys at once, and hit the Shift key for one of them before hitting Return. I do not have a cat, or a toddler. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
What is the name of the partition in Disk Utility?
You can find First Aid on the top bar of the Disk Utility window:
2019-02-02 09.30.31 pm.png

if it's not there, go to View/Customize Toolbar and drag it to the toolbar.

OP
toMACsh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The name is the same gobbled nonsense as beneath the icon.
I figured that First Aid must be within Disk Utility, but not until after making the previous post. I don't think I've ever used it. Might try later...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.