Can’t attach GIF’s to messages

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 16GB/1TB, two 4K monitors/Mojave, Mac Book/Catalina, 2nd Mini in TV room for games/surfing
I’m trying to send a message with one of the GIFs from the library but I get “Cannot Send Message -- iMessage needs to be enabled to send this message.”

Problem is, iMessage IS enabled, at least I think it is. Under Settings/Messages, iMessage is in fact turned on, and so is MMS messaging, but nothing else.

What am I missing?? Thanks in advance,

-Ig.

Reaction score
It's an older discussion, but perhaps try some of the tips here:

"iMessage needs to be enabled to send this message?
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5187065

Examples:

Managed to solve this on my phone. One or both of the following did it: 1) Reset Network Settings (General | Reset | Reset Network Settings). This was a recommendation for IOS 8 texting issues. It deletes all wifi passwords, so beware. 2) Toggle iMesage on, then turn phone off and back on, then sent a message, and toggle iMessage off again. After all of this, all of my texts seem to go through.

@leesehome, I just upgraded to IOS on iPhone 4S as well. I also usually do not use iMessage and was getting this error. To fix my issue, I enabled iMessage, sent a message, then disabled iMessage and the error no longer appears. I don't know if simply toggling iMessage on and off would fix this issue, but I would give that a try.

Holy Mackerel! I've been searching for the solution to this for a couple months, and now I just found it. This is the EASY fix people.

The reason it is trying to send using IMESSAGE is that it's trying to continue a thread you had before with that recipient. Just open up the message window and at the top do a search for that person's name. Then for each entry found (including groups if you want) swipe them left to delete them. When you're done, the screen should be pretty much blank. Start a new message to this person and it should come up GREEN as SMS and you're good to go.

Note I didn't have to do anything in my settings or reboot the phone or any of that stuff. I've had iMessage turned off for a while and have been dealing with this problem for some time.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 16GB/1TB, two 4K monitors/Mojave, Mac Book/Catalina, 2nd Mini in TV room for games/surfing
Resetting Network Settings did the trick!

Grazie, Gracias, Obrigado, Arigato, Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.