MBP "INBOX" mail lost via a virus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 10:10:2 Yosemie
While using Firefox Search Engine something crashed my MBP 10:10:2 Yosemite and had to turn it off as it had seized, and when I finally got it back up my emails from yesterday 2016 were gone and I cannot find them. I did do a 'rebuild' and used Mail Prefs to delete some WiFi addresses that cane unannounced and still no lost emails. Any help would be welcome. Ron.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Hmm, so many confusing things in here. What is "Firefox Search Engine"? Firefox is a browser. Google/Bing/DuckDuckGo is a search engine. You lost email in Mail.app? Or something else? What were you rebuilding? What does WiFi have to do with all this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I did do a 'rebuild' and used Mail Prefs to delete some WiFi addresses that cane unannounced and still no lost emails.

I'm not understanding what the connection, if any, is between your Mail and "WiFi addresses".

Are the "missing" emails new or old?

Can you access your email account via webmail and see what's listed??

- Patrick
======

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh and what Virus? There are none for the Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Let me see if I can translate this. Let me know if I got it right.
While using Firefox Search Engine
You mean you were using Firefox to search for something on the Internet using some search engine? If so, what engine (Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc).
something crashed my MBP 10:10:2 Yosemite
What does "crash" mean to you in that quote? Did you get error messages? Smoke? Screen indications? Fans running? What is a crash?
and had to turn it off
Turn off how? Power button for 10 seconds? Normal shutdown? What?
as it had seized,
"Seized?" What symptoms? How long was it "seized?" Again, what symptoms? Fans running? Screen on/off/black? Mouse, trackpad working?
and when I finally got it back up
What did you do to get it "back up?"
my emails from yesterday 2016 were gone and I cannot find them.
Does "yesterday 2016" mean all mail from 2016 to yesterday? Or all emails from yesterday at about 8:16PM are missing (8:16PM is 2016 in 24 clock time).
I did do a 'rebuild'
Can you say exactly what you did for this rebuild? Any third party software involved?
and used Mail Prefs to delete some WiFi addresses
???? There is no access to WiFi addresses in Mail preferences at all, so what does that mean, please?
that cane unannounced
Assuming you meant "came unannounced" what does that mean? What came unannounced? If you meant "cane" what does that mean?
and still no lost emails.
Do you mean you don't have any lost now, or that none of the "lost" emails reappeared?
Any help would be welcome. Ron.
Happy to help, Ron, once we understand what is going on.

krs

Reaction score
^^^^

Ha, ha, ha - Jake's post made my day!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 32GB i7 3TB & 1TB NVME OSX 13,5,1 late 2013
oh god

what a load of garble

now I'm confused as to what the person is saying so far ?

and Jake your funny man seriously I've not laughed so hard at a post.

but on the serious note.

isn't there no viruses in the wild that can hurt OSX ?

or did I miss something ??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
but on the serious note.

isn't there no viruses in the wild that can hurt OSX ?

or did I miss something ??
There are no viruses in the wild for macOS, or OSX. You haven't missed anything. But people who have issues with their systems tend to blame "virus" for the attack, particularly if they come from the Windows world.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Let me see if I can translate this. Let me know if I got it right.
You mean you were using Firefox to search for something on the Internet using some search engine? If so, what engine (Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc). What does "crash" mean to you in that quote? Did you get error messages? Smoke? Screen indications? Fans running? What is a crash? Turn off how? Power button for 10 seconds? Normal shutdown? What? "Seized?" What symptoms? How long was it "seized?" Again, what symptoms? Fans running? Screen on/off/black? Mouse, trackpad working? What did you do to get it "back up?" Does "yesterday 2016" mean all mail from 2016 to yesterday? Or all emails from yesterday at about 8:16PM are missing (8:16PM is 2016 in 24 clock time). Can you say exactly what you did for this rebuild? Any third party software involved? ???? There is no access to WiFi addresses in Mail preferences at all, so what does that mean, please? Assuming you meant "came unannounced" what does that mean? What came unannounced? If you meant "cane" what does that mean? Do you mean you don't have any lost now, or that none of the "lost" emails reappeared? Happy to help, Ron, once we understand what is going on.

Jake, your "Doctor"ship is showing..:)

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 10:10:2 Yosemie
Ron here. The fix for this was simple. Go to "WINDOW" menu, click on "Connection Doctor" when it opens look down on the page for "Log Connection Activity" and if the box is checked, uncheck it. Then go back to your mail page and at the top of where the emails are, change the "Date Received" to where is was before you lost your emails and put the date back to where it was when things went nuts. That was all I did and everything is back to normal. The 'date received' in my case for some reason lumped all emails from, say 'Gertrude or Sam' together in a line instead of where they were before the crash and were together as a Gertrude block with the dates being where they were in the line-up. First do the Connection Doctor thing then the Date Received and I hope that works for you. Ron

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Umm, you fixed your own problem, but who are you talking to? Honestly, I have no idea what the problem was and even less what the solution is. But let's just move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.