Mid 2011 iMac hard drive into 5,1 Mac Pro question

Reaction score
Hello All,
After having another video card fail in my 2011 iMac, I decided that I didn't want to spend any more money, or take the whole thing apart (again) and have to do it all yet again in a few months, so I have now delved into building a 5,1 Mac Pro.
The question is this, what would happen if I put the hd from the iMac into the Mac Pro as a start up disc? Would it run properly and I be able to use all of my programs (Adobe CC, Word, etc) that I have purchased without having to start fresh, or am I screwed on that front?
Any help appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
Why would you be screwed?

I believe, if you put the disk in the Mac Pro, it should start up and run, but you might need to boot up from the Recovery partition to reinstall the OS, to be sure all the correct drivers are installed.

Bob -

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
It should work fine but I would be curious to see how it turns out. Post back and let us know! Be sure to back up first - I recommend using Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper!

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
What operating system is on the drive and if it is an old platter drive it will hobble your Mac Pro. Go for an SSD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Yes Harry has a valid point. An SSD will bring new speed and life.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.