Office for mac

Reaction score
Dear Friends:

I'm from latinamerica, and as you might suspect, we handle a different set of keyboard shortcuts for the app at matter, when we use windows (for instance, control+n is used for bold instead of ctrl+b).

I know you can change one by one the keyboard shortcuts, but I've been looking for a set to download the spanish shortcuts, and even though I do own a legal copy of MS Office in spanish, on the mac it only has the english shortcuts.

Do you know any way that I can fix this issue? I've heard about normal.dotm file, that it also contains the keyboard shortcuts, but then again, you have to edit it manually...

Please help.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Are you using the Spanish keyboard on the OS in general? I would assume that apps should take their guidance from what the OS says the keyboard is and use that for stuff. I don't believe you can set a keyboard type specific to an app.

OP
T
Reaction score
Are you using the Spanish keyboard on the OS in general? I would assume that apps should take their guidance from what the OS says the keyboard is and use that for stuff. I don't believe you can set a keyboard type specific to an app.

That makes a lot of sense. The keyboard is in spanish, and it is set to spanish. Just like any other computer. This also happens in Pages and iwork...but I just assumed that it was like that.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
So, are you saying that with the Spanish keyboard selected, on your Mac the shortcut for bold is CMD+n, but that apps are using CMD+b?

OP
T
Reaction score
So, are you saying that with the Spanish keyboard selected, on your Mac the shortcut for bold is CMD+n, but that apps are using CMD+b?

I'm saying it should be cmd+n, but instead, all the shortcuts are in english, all over the computer, using cmd+B for bold.

I don't think apple even has shortcuts in spanish for the mac itself, but MS Office most certainly does, at least in the windows version, and you can easily customize it by downloading a language package. That option doesn't exist for the mac. The only thing it let me do, is to change them one by one, and life is too short for that sort of effort.

I read somewhere that the shortcuts for the keyboard are saved on a file called normal.dotm, but I can't find the spanish version anywhere. Or any version for that matter.

Reaction score
Unfortunately I am not sure if there is an easy way to "import" an entire set of Spanish-language shortcuts in to MS Office for Mac apps, but how many of these language-specific shortcuts do you actually use? It seems like it wouldn't be too much trouble just to change the language-based ones (such as the one for "bold" you mentioned) manually, like you say you know you can do.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@taylwin

I don't know if this helps, but here are the paths to normal.dotm on my iMac. I don't know the function of these but if you have read, or believe, that they are relevant, here they are. You need to substitute YourName in the blanked out bits.

SX.jpg

SY.jpg

I realise they are the same paths, but they contain separate items (2 in fact)

And may I, in passing, congratulate you on your excellent command of English.

Ian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I believe the paths for the normal template in MS Office varies according to which version you use. The path shown above is different than from what I show for MS Office 2011. (which is the same as Office 2008)

/users/library/application support/microsoft/office/user templates/normal.dotm

Note that the "my templates" folder in Office 2011 is only for the templates that you have added to Office.

The path for the normal template in Office 2016 and 2019 is different. So it depends on which version of MS Office the OP is using. And, since Command B is standard throughout macOS for bold (just as contol B is in Windows) I don't believe it can be changed. Language packages for Windows can be added, however, for macOS language can be changed without adding a package.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Point well made and taken, Charlie. Thank you.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.