Issues with MBP after installing new SSD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020) 8GB
Looking for assistance. I upgraded to a new ssd over a week ago. All was fine, system nice and fast until Thursday last week and than again today. Went to open up MBP after sitting for awhile and the following happened. The screen had very thin vertical lines and the apple logo appeared to have a reddish tint. The startup bar progressed with a red line through it, went to a white screen and than shut shut down and restarted with the same vertical lines with this process repeating itself three times. After three times of this it reached my log in. Logged in and received the attached log.
MBP late 2011. Samsung EVO 500 gb ssd installed. 8gb ram.
What is happening here and why. Is there anything to do to correct the issue or do I have major problems. Other than this happening twice in the last week all is fine.
Thanks for helping.

Screen Shot 2019-01-29 at 4.45.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-29 at 4.49.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-29 at 4.50.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-29 at 4.51.39 PM.png

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
update..cannot log in.
cmd r..no go
blue screen with black vertical lines. Am i toast ??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
What happens if you boot holding the Option key down until you see options on the screen?

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just tried it again holding down the option key.
The screen has horizontal red lines with the progress bar loading with red line, than white screen. Laptop shut down than restarted...was able to login this time. All booted and running...for now.
What is my issue and can this be corrected? Do I have a graphics problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I think that vintage MBP had GPU issues. It might be a GPU, but the panic didn't seem to indicate a GPU fault. Do you have an external monitor that you could connect to to see if the issue is internal or just the display panel?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Being that it is a 2011 model it is possible that the graphics card had died or been damaged.
How did you transfer the data from your old HDD?
Can you boot into recovery mode holding Command and the R keys down during startup?
Can you boot from an external drive (If you have one)?

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Data transferred via super duper.
No, could not boot into recovery mode.
Connected external drive and no luck.
I just took the back cover off, disconnected the battery, cleaned up a little with compressed air, replaced back cover.
Booted up, again, using "option key' as Jake suggested.
Entire screen had very thin horizontal red lines which were very apparent when looking at the apple logo, but my start up disk was there.
Selected the disk, progress bar started loading with red lines in it, went to a white screen, progress bar than reappeared as normal bringing me to my log in page.
Logged in as usual and now I am up and running as if nothing happened, machine is fast and in fact I am replying using it now !
This makes three times in the last two weeks this has happened. What could be the issue ? What does the blue screen with black vertical lines suggest ?
Hardware diagnostics test revealed no problems except for battery error which i believe is related to replacing with after market battery 1 year ago.
Any suggestions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it sounds like a GPU failing. No external monitor to test? If the problem appears on an external monitor, the issue is 99% the GPU. If it doesn't appear on the external, it's the display. Neither is good news, but the display will let you use it in clamshell mode with an external monitor and keyboard/mouse.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thought so..read that the 2011 MBP were notorious for GPU issues. Can this be repairable or given the age should i start preparing for the funeral and look for a newer MBP.
Will look for or borrow an external monitor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are companies that do repairs. I have seen videos on Youtube from some companies that will replace a capacitor on some boards that is the culprit, and I have also heard that reflowing the solder will fix some issues. Neither is a job for a rookie and both require equipment that is in the $5-10K range, so not something you pick up at the local hardware store. But you can maybe look for a replacement on something like Craig's list, or your local newspaper, or even in a used Mac store like Experimac. There is an Experimac in King of Prussia, but you can check online to see if there is one closer to your home. Experimac may be able to replace the logic board, which is where the GPU is located. It's not going to be cheap, so you may want to see what the machine is worth now at some place like everymac.com or maybe mac2sell.net. Ebay is another place to see what that system will sell for if it was working properly.

If you want to see how much work it is to replace the logic board, check at ifixit.com. Not easy to do. If you are up to give it a try, some folks fixed the GPU issue with an oven by using it to reflow the logic board. You can search for it with "macbook pro oven." Believe it or not, it actually worked for a lot of folks. This one has a sense of humor, but you can see the results: How I resurrected my MacBook Pro by putting it in the oven . I wouldn't do everything he said, I would follow the ifixit.com procedure for getting the board out and then back in again, but the general theory seems to work for some folks.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for the informative information. There is a Experimac in Cherry Hill, NJ which is considerably closer than King of Prussia. Certainly wouldn't hurt to give them a call. Avg price for my laptop is in the $450-$550 range. Repair or replacement of the logic board is about the same give or take $50. Not a proponent in taking up baking lessons. Gettint it fixed or buying used is basically a wash, therefore decisions need to be made. Fix or save for new one !
As always, thanks to all who have replied. As I have said before, the things that can be learned from this forum and its members is amazing.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well..the MBP finally breathed its last breath last night. It has been a good 8 years. All options to start up and/or boot up takes me to a blank grey screen or the dreaded blue screen both on using my mbp or attaching an external monitor to it as well. Weighing my options at this point. Looking for an open box, refurbished or preowned MBP as currently laid off three weeks ago and a new MBP / mac laptop is definitely not in the budget..
In my regards to my decision making is there a forum preference between the macbook pro vs macbook air. Due the $$ involved in purchasing apple producks may even have to consider a windows (OUCH !) machine until things get better.
Any advice from the forum members...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry about the layoff. Hope you find something soon.

As for options, you can check at Experimac. They have refurbished machines with a short warranty (I think 90 days), but at least it is long enough to see if there are any real issues. Personally, I would prefer an MBP over an MBA, but it really depends on how you would use it. If it's an email, surfing, light office kind of stuff, the MBA is great. If it's more intensive (photo/video processing, etc), then the MBP would be the better choice. Also, in general, MBP screens range larger than MBA screens.

Apple also sells refurbished systems at about 15% below the list price that come with a full year warranty and are eligible for AppleCare+. The prices may be a bit above your current willingness to spend, but it is an option.

You might also check online at places like B&H Photo. Sometimes they have sales that can be reasonable. I just looked and didn't see anything striking, but it's worth keeping an eye on that.

And of course there is eBay and Craig's list, where you would need to be a bit more cautious.

Finally, if there is a Mac user's club near you, they may have a sell/buy function.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.