Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 5k Retina iMac, 24 gig Ram, i7 4.0GHz, 10.13.6
    Creating a Bootable Installer for MacOS
    Apple has published a guide to creaeting a bootable installer: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372. I'm attempting to create a High Sierra bootable installer on a 16gig flash drive so that I can then create a virtual machine to run under Parallels. I need to do this as certain legacy software will not run under whatever succeeds Mojave.

Anyway, in order to create the bootable installer Apple first directs that the installer be downloaded from the App Store which I have done, and it is sitting in Applications as Install macOS High Sierra, exactly as the document predicts. Then the trouble starts. The next direction is to copy and paste into Terminal the listed command:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

But when I do so Terminal gives the message: "Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.app does not appear to be a valid OS installer application."

I've uploaded a screen shot of the Terminal window. Does anyone have an idea of what is wrong?

Thanks.

Additional info: the flash drive is formatted with Extended (Journaled)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.1 beta
    Personally I find it much easier to use some of the other tools out there for this purpose. My current favorite for this purpose is DiskMaker X. it's much easier than following the directions Apple provides.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    Hear, hear!

This is a link to their site. NB at the bottom is a link to all previous OS versions, including macOS High Sierra. https://diskmakerx.com

Ian
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
    The next direction is to copy and paste into Terminal the listed command:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

But when I do so Terminal gives the message: "Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.app does not appear to be a valid OS installer application."

I've uploaded a screen shot of the Terminal window. Does anyone have an idea of what is wrong?
    From Apple's Article:

Type or paste one of the following commands in Terminal. These assume that the installer is still in your Applications folder, and MyVolume is the name of the USB flash drive or other volume you're using. If it has a different name, replace MyVolume accordingly.
    So what is the name of your flash drive? Remember, if it has any spaces, you'll need to use a backslash in the name in Terminal.

EDIT:

Wait, now I just saw this in the article as well:

* If your Mac is using macOS Sierra or earlier, include the --applicationpath argument. The Sierra and El Capitan commands show the proper format of this argument.
    So if you're doing this on High Sierra (which apparently you are), the command you need is:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app

And be sure to replace MyVolume with the actual name of your USB drive, if different
    Last edited by usagora; 01-29-2019 at 08:48 PM.
    -Jonathan
    iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) - 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5
    MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2012) - 1.8 GHz Intel Core i5

I'm glad this topic came up.

I see Disk Maker X and Disk Creator as two apps that seem to do the same thing.
    Is one preferable over the other?

I have used Disk Maker X before, Disk Creator seems to be a newer app.

Your Mac's Specs
    Making a bootable OS disk
    First, my apologies for not replying. I was only notified of Slydude's first reply and none of the others. Must be a glitch in the system.

USAGORA, your suggested command appears to be identical to the command I actually used. To make my life easier I named my flash drive MyVolume as in the example.

Anyway, I just downloaded the High Sierra version of Diskmaker and tried to make the bootable disk but got a different error message, one with code numbers. I have no idea what the error is or even how to find out what the code numbers are. I'm uploading a screen shot of the error message.

Thanks again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

USAGORA, your suggested command appears to be identical to the command I actually used.
    It's not. You posted:

I posted (notice the additional text in red):

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app
    -Jonathan

Your Mac's Specs
    You're right. Sorry. But as I read the instructions, that extra language is only needed for Sierra and prior, not High Sierra.

You're right. Sorry. But as I read the instructions, that extra language is only needed for Sierra and prior, not High Sierra.
    I believe you're right. Just re-read it. May be worth a shot anyway to see if it works?
    -Jonathan

Your Mac's Specs
    Can't hurt I guess but if it doesn't and I can't work out the Diskmaker error message I think I'm sunk.

Can't hurt I guess but if it doesn't and I can't work out the Diskmaker error message I think I'm sunk.
    The only other thing I can think of at the moment--if you haven't already tried this--is delete the installer you downloaded and try re-downloading it.
    -Jonathan

Your Mac's Specs
    Worth a try I guess. Thanks.

For High Sierra - did you get the complete installer when you downloaded?
    I only got about 22MB, the installes should be around 5GB
    I had started another thread on that a few days ago.

Your Mac's Specs
    Yikes, me too. The file size is 22.7MB. Did you find a solution?

That explains your problem.

There is a suggestion in the thread I started but I have not tried that yet.

Thread Information