Creating a Bootable Installer for MacOS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Studio, 32gb RAM, BenQ 270C Monitor, OS X 14.1.2
Apple has published a guide to creaeting a bootable installer: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372. I'm attempting to create a High Sierra bootable installer on a 16gig flash drive so that I can then create a virtual machine to run under Parallels. I need to do this as certain legacy software will not run under whatever succeeds Mojave.

Anyway, in order to create the bootable installer Apple first directs that the installer be downloaded from the App Store which I have done, and it is sitting in Applications as Install macOS High Sierra, exactly as the document predicts. Then the trouble starts. The next direction is to copy and paste into Terminal the listed command:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

But when I do so Terminal gives the message: "Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.app does not appear to be a valid OS installer application."

I've uploaded a screen shot of the Terminal window. Does anyone have an idea of what is wrong?

Thanks.

Additional info: the flash drive is formatted with Extended (Journaled)

Screen Shot 2019-01-29 at 4.01.47 PM.png

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Personally I find it much easier to use some of the other tools out there for this purpose. My current favorite for this purpose is DiskMaker X. it's much easier than following the directions Apple provides.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hear, hear!

This is a link to their site. NB at the bottom is a link to all previous OS versions, including macOS High Sierra. https://diskmakerx.com

Ian

Reaction score
The next direction is to copy and paste into Terminal the listed command:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

But when I do so Terminal gives the message: "Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.app does not appear to be a valid OS installer application."

I've uploaded a screen shot of the Terminal window. Does anyone have an idea of what is wrong?

From Apple's Article:

Type or paste one of the following commands in Terminal. These assume that the installer is still in your Applications folder, and MyVolume is the name of the USB flash drive or other volume you're using. If it has a different name, replace MyVolume accordingly.

So what is the name of your flash drive? Remember, if it has any spaces, you'll need to use a backslash in the name in Terminal.

EDIT:

Wait, now I just saw this in the article as well:

* If your Mac is using macOS Sierra or earlier, include the --applicationpath argument. The Sierra and El Capitan commands show the proper format of this argument.
macos-high-sierra-terminal-create-bootable-installer.png

So if you're doing this on High Sierra (which apparently you are), the command you need is:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app

And be sure to replace MyVolume with the actual name of your USB drive, if different

Last edited:

krs

Reaction score
I'm glad this topic came up.

I see Disk Maker X and Disk Creator as two apps that seem to do the same thing.
Is one preferable over the other?

I have used Disk Maker X before, Disk Creator seems to be a newer app.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Making a bootable OS disk

First, my apologies for not replying. I was only notified of Slydude's first reply and none of the others. Must be a glitch in the system.

USAGORA, your suggested command appears to be identical to the command I actually used. To make my life easier I named my flash drive MyVolume as in the example.

Anyway, I just downloaded the High Sierra version of Diskmaker and tried to make the bootable disk but got a different error message, one with code numbers. I have no idea what the error is or even how to find out what the code numbers are. I'm uploading a screen shot of the error message.

Thanks again.

Screen Shot 2019-01-31 at 5.38.20 PM.png

Reaction score
USAGORA, your suggested command appears to be identical to the command I actually used.

It's not. You posted:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume​

I posted (notice the additional text in red):

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're right. Sorry. But as I read the instructions, that extra language is only needed for Sierra and prior, not High Sierra.

Reaction score
You're right. Sorry. But as I read the instructions, that extra language is only needed for Sierra and prior, not High Sierra.

I believe you're right. Just re-read it. May be worth a shot anyway to see if it works?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can't hurt I guess but if it doesn't and I can't work out the Diskmaker error message I think I'm sunk.

Reaction score
Can't hurt I guess but if it doesn't and I can't work out the Diskmaker error message I think I'm sunk.

The only other thing I can think of at the moment--if you haven't already tried this--is delete the installer you downloaded and try re-downloading it.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Worth a try I guess. Thanks.

krs

Reaction score
For High Sierra - did you get the complete installer when you downloaded?
I only got about 22MB, the installes should be around 5GB
I had started another thread on that a few days ago.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yikes, me too. The file size is 22.7MB. Did you find a solution?

krs

Reaction score
That explains your problem.

There is a suggestion in the thread I started but I have not tried that yet.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What is the name of the thread so I can search for it? Thanks.

krs

Reaction score
I was going to provide a link for you but the forum has problems.
Thinks the links don't exist.

Title is
Downloaded High Sierra - file is only 22.7 MB

PS:
The thread is obviously in "My Posts", but when I click on the link I get this message:
No Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, I'll search it out. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.