• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

AAC headphones?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air mid-2013 4GB, and other machines
Someplace I stumbled on an article touting headphones using AAC-I guess instead of Bluetooth or an AptX codec. That made me wonder-are there any headphones that can actually stream the 256k Apple Music stream directly? Hmm, now that I ask the question it seems impossible, like the iDevice itself would have to do that, or can the AAC be encapsulated in a Bluetooth stream? Or not enough bandwidth? Or ???? This is not an area where I have much expertise; I just know it would be nice to get the sound directly without further compressions.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Wireless headphones today are mostly based on Bluetooth. A handful use more inferior technologies like RF or Infrared. Bluetooth is the universal connector and through the Audio/Headphone profile you can enable/stream whatever you want to support codecs of interest.

As far as headphones go that support both aptX and AAC:
Sennheiser Momentum Free - $140
Bowers & Wilkins PX - $400
RHA MA390 - $70

I've never heard of the last brand/model, but Sennheiser is a very reputable headphone manufacturer and B&W is just expensive. :)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Those headphones connect to your device (Mac, iPhone) using Bluetooth and once connected will be able to play music using the AAC codec. You do not bypass the Bluetooth connection.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Maybe you could provide a link to the article? I don't think that is what they mean, because the headphones would need to be programmed to receive the signal from? How?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Maybe you could provide a link to the article? I don't think that is what they mean, because the headphones would need to be programmed to receive the signal from? How?
I think you're right. The writer probably meant pairing the headset with some Bluetoth device such as an iPhone or other device.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air mid-2013 4GB, and other machines
...using the AAC codec. You do not bypass the Bluetooth connection.
Ah, what I meant is if the whole 256k AAC gets shoved through the Bluetooth, or if due to bandwidth the 256k AAC from Apple Music gets squeezed down to 96k or whatever...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.