iMac G5 20" Mid 2005 (Maybe)

Reaction score
Dear respected, honourable & technical members of the forum,

I recently just bought an iMac G5 20”, 1 GB, 250 GB Mid 2005 model (I think) from a flee market. I knew it was defective, but thought that I could fix it or use it as decoration at worst. The iMac has graphical errors at boot up, but the OS system loads fine. Everything in the background works even the DVD (tested with a DVD film). Sound works and it seems just fine, but the screen is all screwed up with checkerboards and graphical errors all over the place. I cannot read what is stated on the screen. All the iMacs were defect, but I choose two that were OK, but the first one was better than the second one and I picked up the wrong one (my fault). But, both had these graphical errors/glitches. I opened the iMac and I was quite nice and clean. I cleaned the whole thing and there was not much dust inside it. There were 9 capacitors that looked bulging. I was thinking about changing these to see if it fixed it. However, I do think that the GPU is at fault. I was able to take a screenshot on the iMac (blind as a bat and I cannot see anything understandable on the iMac screen, so it was a lot of guess work) and transfer it to a USB drive. On the screenshot the screen is all checkered and screwed too.
Is it possible that the problem is only the capacitors? Or is it just the GPU? Ways of fixing the GPU is replacing it, reflowing it or reballing it? I think I will just use this a hobby project of mine. But, what are the chances of me fixing it with the information provided and without having to replace the GPU/Logicboard?

Thank you for your time and thanks for your help ?

Billede-3.jpg

IMG_20190128_174637.jpg

IMG_20190128_174932.jpg

IMG_20190128_175005.jpg

IMG_20190128_175009.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Is it possible that the problem is only the capacitors? Or is it just the GPU? Ways of fixing the GPU is replacing it, reflowing it or reballing it? I think I will just use this a hobby project of mine. But, what are the chances of me fixing it with the information provided and without having to replace the GPU/Logicboard?

I'd suggest doing a bit more Googling for all the problems with those machines. They were NOT one of Apple's better products as far as reliability goes. You might want to consider how much you want to spend before you start getting too involved.

You can start at some places like this:
https://www.instructables.com/id/Imac-G5-DIY-capacitors-repair/

And of course more hits from here:
https://www.google.com/search?q=g5+...e..69i57j0.13703j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

But definitely, those caps have seen better days, and there are various replacement kits available, but you may have to touch up on your lead-free soldering skills. :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

OP
M
Reaction score
I'd suggest doing a bit more Googling for all the problems with those machines. They were NOT one of Apple's better products as far as reliability goes. You might want to consider how much you want to spend before you start getting too involved.

You can start at some places like this:
https://www.instructables.com/id/Imac-G5-DIY-capacitors-repair/

And of course more hits from here:
https://www.google.com/search?q=g5+...e..69i57j0.13703j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

But definitely, those caps have seen better days, and there are various replacement kits available, but you may have to touch up on your lead-free soldering skills. :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

Would you say the problem lies with those capacitors? And exchanging them would solve the problem? Or is it basically the GPU thats needs a replacing? Would a reflow help?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If it's capacitor related...look for leaking capacitors. As far as the reflow...you gonna bake it yourself?

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
If it's capacitor related...look for leaking capacitors. As far as the reflow...you gonna bake it yourself?

- Nick

Well I was thinking about using a hot air gun. But do you think it would be enough to change those capacitors only?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Hope you did not pay more than US$5.00 for it, the going rate on an antiquated unreliable model. Do not spend any more on it.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hope you did not pay more than US$5.00 for it, the going rate on an antiquated unreliable model. Do not spend any more on it.

Im based in Europe so things are a bit more expensive. I could buy more of these, but are the fixable? The problem with the capacitors is doable, and reflowing is doable I guess. But would it fix it? What are my chances? And everything works so nicely on it otherwise... It is such a shame honestly.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I was thinking about using a hot air gun. But do you think it would be enough to change those capacitors only?

Are some of the capacitors bulging?...from a couple of the photos looks like at least a few are bulging.

As far as "Would a re-flow help"? Many folks throw around the term "re-flow" as if it's something just anyone can do. REAL reflow equipment can cost $5000-$10,000.

Sure there are all sorts of You-Tube videos of dudes showing how to they've successfully done reflows...and maybe they have & maybe they have not truely been successful (can't believe everything you see on You-Tube).;) For every one successful reflow they've done...how many failures have they had??

For a do-it-yourselfer...reflow at home options possible:

- putting the while logic board into the oven & baking it (correct times & temps).
- fine tipped butane torch
- heat gun
- hair -dryer (mentioned above).

Of all these methods the hair-dryer is by far the worst choice. Probably won't get hot enough to melt the solder...and you have hardly any heat control (will be blowing hot air everywhere).

As far as things "being a shame"...not really in my opinion. Some iMac G5's had GPU & bulging/leaking capacitor issues...and they more they've been used (total hours)...the greater the chance the issue will surface. 2nd...it's almost a 15 year old computer. A 2005 computer in 2019 will not be that useable. Very very slow on the internet...and super difficult to find good apps to run on it.

I know there's the "challenge" aspect to this project (just want to get it working because we think we can). It's absolutely 100% possible to get it working again:)...question is how much money to sink into it before "calling it a day".

Hey...it was a flea market find. You buy it as-is where-is...you hope for the best...but be perpared for the worst. Hopefully not too much was paid for it. I certainly wouldn't sink too much money into it...since it's not worth much 100% working (check eBay). You could try selling it on eBay as a parts computer...or disassemble it & sell the individual parts.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Are some of the capacitors bulging?...from a couple of the photos looks like at least a few are bulging.

As far as "Would a re-flow help"? Many folks throw around the term "re-flow" as if it's something just anyone can do. REAL reflow equipment can cost $5000-$10,000.

Sure there are all sorts of You-Tube videos of dudes showing how to they've successfully done reflows...and maybe they have & maybe they have not truely been successful (can't believe everything you see on You-Tube).;) For every one successful reflow they've done...how many failures have they had??

For a do-it-yourselfer...reflow at home options possible:

- putting the while logic board into the oven & baking it (correct times & temps).
- fine tipped butane torch
- heat gun
- hair -dryer (mentioned above).

Of all these methods the hair-dryer is by far the worst choice. Probably won't get hot enough to melt the solder...and you have hardly any heat control (will be blowing hot air everywhere).

As far as things "being a shame"...not really in my opinion. Some iMac G5's had GPU & bulging/leaking capacitor issues...and they more they've been used (total hours)...the greater the chance the issue will surface. 2nd...it's almost a 15 year old computer. A 2005 computer in 2019 will not be that useable. Very very slow on the internet...and super difficult to find good apps to run on it.

I know there's the "challenge" aspect to this project (just want to get it working because we think we can). It's absolutely 100% possible to get it working again:)...question is how much money to sink into it before "calling it a day".

Hey...it was a flea market find. You buy it as-is where-is...you hope for the best...but be perpared for the worst. Hopefully not too much was paid for it. I certainly wouldn't sink too much money into it...since it's not worth much 100% working (check eBay). You could try selling it on eBay as a parts computer...or disassemble it & sell the individual parts.

- Nick

Thank you for your reply :) I bought it as a project and thought that if I could fix one of them then there was a chance os fixing more of them as the all have the same problem. I wasn't going to use it myself, but give it away to my nieces, girlfriend, family and such as presents. I thought about perhaps using them for light weight webbrowing or a Retro Machine.

However, my question was more in terms of what the chances were of it working if I changed the capacitors myself? Would it be enough? Would a reflow of the GPU help if that is the culpit? Or is the GPU damaged beyond repair at this stage?

OP
M
Reaction score
I've Just installed OSX Leopard on it using the DVD drive and it went without any problems at all! :) IMG_20190129_152923.jpg

Last edited:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It's possible the Bulging Caps are causing the issue if some are where the GPU is. In your pics above I see many bad caps.

The only thing is don't spend to much $$$ on it. It's old and only will run Leopard OSX at best which is very old and will have issues even going to a lot of Web pages of today.

If you do change the Caps, keep us posted.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wasn't going to use it myself, but give it away to my nieces, girlfriend, family and such as presents.

In general...not necessarily a bad idea.:)

Unfortunately iMac G5's are not a very good choice. On or about 2005/2006 Apple made a BIG switch in CPU's from the IBM PowerPC CPU to Intel CPU's...this was a big big switch. Basically this switch made all current PowerPC computers at the time with a very limited future...since the future OS upgrade path was basically a dead-end with Mac OS 10.5.8 (current macOS version is 10.14).

Even if the iMac G5's weren't as limited...they are 14 years old...and would be very very slow on the internet (slow graphice hardware)...and be VERY vulerable to any "bad stuff" on the internet.

To take things even further. If these iMac's were early 2006/2007 iMac's with an Intel CPU...they still wouldn't be the best gifts...since they would still be very very slow & limited OS upgrades.

Please don't take any of this info negatively. Just trying to give you some straight up honest info...so you are fully informed before spending any additional money.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
I somehow managed to install my WIFI on the mac. Is there a way to install some VNC software on the computer? I'm trying but I cannot see what I'm doing?

OP
M
Reaction score
Now I've somehow logged into the computer and took a screenshot for you guys. And surprise surprise! The VNC screen is checkered as well as the original one! iMac-G5-VNC-Small.jpg

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes...the checkered appearance is probably a GPU issue.

Two longshot ideas I forgot to mention previously:

- Try attaching an external monitor to the iMac (if you have an external monitor). May need a video cable adapter as well. This could verify if the issue is GPU or display/display cable related. It's a longshot idea...but worth trying if you have the hardware handy to try it.
- I don't know for sure...but if this iMac has a discrete video hardware in it...you may be able to replace the thermal paste between the GPU chip & heatsink.

Good luck,

Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I wasn't going to use it myself, but give it away to my nieces, girlfriend, family and such as presents. I thought about perhaps using them for light weight webbrowing or a Retro Machine.

Don't forget the possibility of using it/them as an electronic picture frame as some have done. :Smirk: But that might be overkill for power consumption.

However, my question was more in terms of what the chances were of it working if I changed the capacitors myself?
You might want to check out this site that used to have lots of info for modding, fixing etc. all kinds of Macs here:
Apple/Mac/OS X News, Tips and Tech Articles - xlr8yourmac.com

- Patrick
======

OP
M
Reaction score
I just did a ASD test on the machine and the one test that failed (from what I could see) was the PCI ATI VIDEO CONTROLLER test which said "Data Mismatch Error" error testing failed. I was able to see a little which said in the system info that the CPU was a W8 CPU ID. Does this help?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New update! Apparently blue screen causes no artifacts?!

What do you think this is?...that's the graphically messed up cursor:

Screen Shot 2019-01-29 at 4.49.28 PM.png

Just sayin,;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.