Hub Hunting

Reaction score
@Randy

I just recently took the time to check an old WD USB hard drive that I was sure I had used to boot from previously, so I connected it to my old small seff-powered Belkin USB hub and proceeded to boot my mid-2011 27" iMac using Mavericks and it worked just the same as I recall.

A bit slow but it allows booting and worked quite well, and I know it isn't a USB 3.0 hub, but I understood they were all supposed to be compatible.

Maybe the gentleman may want to update his data and spreadsheet. Just a thought.

I just didn't want some readers thinking they couldn't use their USB 2.0 hubs with a USB drive to boot from.

I think that I made it quite clear that the gentleman in question tested USB 3.0 hubs. I don't think that he needs to "update his data" based on your irrelevant test of a USB 2.0 hub.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I think that I made it quite clear that the gentleman in question tested USB 3.0 hubs. I don't think that he needs to "update his data" based on your irrelevant test of a USB 2.0 hub.

I don't see it as being completely irrelevant as you suggest as some users probably don't even know there's any difference between
a USB 2.0 hub and a USB 3.0 hub.

It's interesting to me that it seems that the USB 3.0 hubs can provide some advantages while abandoning others like Mac OS X bootability.

PS: I just thought some users might be interested and would like to know rather than assuming that all USB hubs are the same when using some features. Just as I mentioned previously.

- Patrick
======

OP
KennyC
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 Retina 3.4, 16gb Catalina 10.15.3, iPhone XR, iPad 9.7
Just received my Anker 10 port hub and works as advertised. Doesn't take up hardly any space. Charges iPhone with no problem. If I had any complaints it would be the length of ac/adapter power cords could have been long for MY desk setup but by no means a deal breaker.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.