External Hard Drive Question....

Reaction score
Ok so I did my research and found that I "can" run windows with bootcamp from my WD Passport 1tb external hard drive..the whole reason to run windows is only for the game DAYZ so I can play it with my teenage son as it is not supported on my brand new MacBook Pro that my awesome wife got me for Christmas....No other reason for windows.....
I just ordered my external and it should arrive in 2 days....
my question is this:
Once I install Windows on the external hard drive, will I still be able to use the external for other storage such as hundreds if not thousands of family photos and raw vacation video files or will it be dedicated strictly to the windows program on it?
I am not "opposed" to installing windows directly on my Mac I am just more "comfortable" having the software on the external...
this is my first post here and I LOVE my new MAC
thank you all in advance!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Hard answer with no Mac or operating system details.

However you will have to find a work around as Microsoft will not let Windows be installed on an external drive as in the normal internal drive manner. An 'anti-piracy' measure they reckon (no aspersions)!

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
DILLIGAF, you say you have researched the topic and found that you can run windows from an external HD . I'm not doubting you but to my knowledge what harry says is true so how do you manage it?
I personally can think of one way which might work but I'm very interested to know what you found.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Well, blow me down, I did a quick search and found this Apple site explaining the whole (rather complicated) process but the bottom line seems to be that it is possible. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5431182

Having said that, to answer the original question about storing photos, personally I wouldn't do that. The reason being that Windows has a tendency to grow. The more space you can give it the better. Yes I know you just want to play one game with your son but a bit like a closet, it doesn't matter how many you have you will eventually fill them all.
I had Windows 10 running via Boot Camp on a 100Gb partition on my MacBook Pro within 6 months I was struggling to find space, system updates, security patches, preference files, browsing history, game versions, updates, saved games, installers etc, etc.

Technically there is no reason why you couldn't store photos on the same WD drive just don't underestimate the space needed especially if you decide to partition it.

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I've seen several explanations of how tthis can be done. The ones I've seen sre similar to the directions you linked to Rod.

I haven't tried them personally because it seems to have the potential to be a time-consuming pain in the rear.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes given the level of complexity I wouldn't try it.
DILLIGAF, I think by far the easiest way would be to Use Boot Camp to partition the internal drive of your new Mac. You didn't mention which one you have but if it has 500Gb plus internal storage you could devote say 150Gb to a Windows partition and use your new external to store all that media you mentioned.
It would make booting to and using Windows so much faster and efficient on your Mac. Just remember this is something that can be difficult to undo if you ever change your mind.
You could even create a partition on the external (ie ExFat) for use with the Windows partition on your Mac.
Just a thought.

OP
DILLIGAF
Reaction score
Ok so I have read everyone’s replies and thank you all for that....
My Mac is a new one 500gb and 8gb....would you recommend I install windows as a partion on the Mac and just use the external for storage then? With that being said does partioning “on the mac” have “any” risks as far as compromising my system? I mean I know 500gb is quite a bit...however we take a lot of family photos and video....thanks again all

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
First, make sure you have a dedicated backup plan in place before attempting anything. Those photos and videos need to be backed up, on a separate drive or drives. And if you store data/files on a separate drive, that will also need to be backed up as well. Time Machine will do this for you, as a basic backup strategy. Drives will fail eventually.

As for winOS. M$ has an EULA, which does not permit booting from any USB device, unless you purchase the Enterprise version of their OS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.