transferring MP3 files from computer to ipod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Thanks. Since posting, I have got another Ipod which is synced with my computer so there should be no obvious obstacle to moving the downloaded podcasts from computer to Ipod. This is what I did: I opened Itunes: File → Add to Library → select podcasts → open

Nothing happens.

What am I doing wrong and where will Itunes save the podcasts?

thanks again.
With these steps, you are only adding the podcasts to your library, not to the iPod. Since the iPod is already in your library nothing will happen, or it may have added another copy to your library? What version of Mac OS X/OS X/macOS are you using? And what are the OS and iPod versions of both iPods you are working with? Are they exactly the same?

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. I tried doing what you say but
1. clicking on the Ipod symbol does nothing.
2. Selecting 'Podcasts' and then 'sync podcasts' does nothing because the 2 podcasts in question don't appear anywhere. i.e. I can't add them because i can't find them
3. I read the article again but it dose not envisage the problem.

1. Just to be clear - the screenshot in my previous post is what you will see after you've clicked on the iPod symbol. This is the symbol I was referring to clicking on:

macos-mojave-itunes-12-9-connected-device.png

it appears after your iPod is connected and is recognized.

2. I'm confused. Did you not subscribe to these Podcasts through the iTunes Store? They should be in your library if you did. What kind of iPod is this? Is it an iPod touch? If so, then you can also subscribe to podcasts using the Podcasts app on it and thus the problem is solved.

You may find this article helpful:

For Podcast Fans: Frequently Asked Questions
https://www.apple.com/itunes/podcasts/fanfaq.html

OP
M
Reaction score
Jonathon, thanks. The situation has simplified itself. I have just discovered that I 'somehow' managed to transfer one of these down-loaded podcasts from the desktop into what I suppose is the Itunes podcast 'library'. It sits in a folder named ‘X’. I could then load it (sync it?) to the Ipod in the normal way.
Question: How do I find this folder X in the library so I can transfer other podcasts into it?
For some reason, if I go to Finder — Music — Itunes media — Itunes — Podcasts, there is no corresponding 'X' folder, which means I cannot drag the podcasts into a non-existent folder.
Any ideas?
(I will of course try to download directly from internet to ipod but I want to understand this other problem too.)

Reaction score
Jonathon, thanks. The situation has simplified itself. I have just discovered that I 'somehow' managed to transfer one of these down-loaded podcasts from the desktop into what I suppose is the Itunes podcast 'library'. It sits in a folder named ‘X’. I could then load it (sync it?) to the Ipod in the normal way.
Question: How do I find this folder X in the library so I can transfer other podcasts into it?
For some reason, if I go to Finder — Music — Itunes media — Itunes — Podcasts, there is no corresponding 'X' folder, which means I cannot drag the podcasts into a non-existent folder.
Any ideas?
(I will of course try to download directly from internet to ipod but I want to understand this other problem too.)

As you stated, your podcasts should be located under Music > iTunes > iTunes Media > Podcasts

I'm not sure where the folder name "X" came from, unless you're just using "X" as a placeholder for another name that you want to keep private.

Each podcast should have a separate folder inside that Podcasts folder I believe. So move all your podcasts into that directory, and then try dragging them into the iTunes window to import them. Then try syncing them as we talked about before.

If this doesn't work, I'd suggest removing anything from the Podcasts folder under iTunes Media and just subscribe to the podcasts through the iTunes store to start from scratch.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
You need to add them into your iTunes library, and not just drag and drop the files into a folder. In iTunes Preferences, there is an option, to “copy files into your Media folder”, and if that is not selected, the files stay where they are, and iTunes links to the files.

To add the podcasts, select File > Add to Library, like you did previously.

Bob -

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

Reaction score
If you don't want to use iTunes to transfer music from Mac to iPod,you could use MobiKin Assistant for iOS(Mac Version).It is a totally free software and can help you transfer music from Mac to iPod.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.