• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

35 years today macintosh said "Hello"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks Lisa...great stuff!;)

- Nick

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Wow nostalgia city. I had the Mac pictured, complete with rectangular mouse. It had that little rubber ball inside and two rollers that seemed to need constant cleaning, boy they were the days. I learned to type with Mavis Beacon Typing Tutor and played Prince of Persia with my son who always beat my score (still does). Thanks Lisa, perfect reading topic for a rainy day at the beach.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I remember the first time I saw the "Prince of Persia" demo was on a brand new iBook on display at CompUSA. That was a great store which had a large section of the display area dedicated to Apple and Apple software. They were sold in 2006 and closed all their stores a year later. They were sort of a forerunner to Best Buy.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I remember the first time I saw the "Prince of Persia" demo was on a brand new iBook on display at CompUSA. That was a great store which had a large section of the display area dedicated to Apple and Apple software. They were sold in 2006 and closed all their stores a year later. They were sort of a forerunner to Best Buy.

We had both CompUSA and Best Buy open in the early 2000's here. For computer stuff I always went to CompUSA. Ours had a nice Mac section toward the back. The manager of the Mac part was trained at Apple and quite knowledgeable. We became friends and I used to go there and hang out. I went the night Tiger was released. He threw a Tiger launch party. It was a lot of fun and I came home with Tiger that night. I really miss CompUSA.

OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My first time to see a macintosh was in a computer class at college. We were evaluating educational software for elementary kids. The graphics were the big deal back then. The program I was evaluating was for a sex education class - for middle school age. All I will say is if a girl saw that program that showed what happens to a guy when he get "excited" she would be scarred for life! I'll just say the ability to show rounded corners had not been developed yet! ;)

Dennis - I too loved CompUSA. Also Circuit City was around too but not my favorite. And thus was born TigerDirect - which was the combination of both. How time changes.

Rod - I do not miss the rubber ball mouse. I can remember using a paper clip and small computer sweeper to clean out the dust that would clog up the rollers.

But I enjoy looking at "remember whens" .

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I had forgotten about Circuit City. My daughter received a Circuit City gift card from a relative for her birthday but kept putting off using it. I finally convinced her to use it and we did, to buy a camera. Shortly thereafter Circuit City went out of business. I had forgotten that TigerDirect is the combo of both CompUSA and Circuit City. TigerDirect advertises as a PCM company - whatever that is? But they're still around and maintain a web site.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBPr 15in. 2018, 2.9GHz i9, 32 GB

My first Mac was a PowerBook 1400 CS. Bought from CompUSA, when those new iBooks had just come out... Spent a LOT of time in the 2 local CompUSA's!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
TigerDirect is owned by PCM inc. which is a direct marketing company that use to be called Creative Computers. I use to order a lot from TigerDirect UNTIL I received an email telling me they no longer accepted returns to take it up with the manufacturer - or something to that effect. Also sometimes it just isn't what I wanted and I want to send it back.

Some fun reading??: Return Policy at TigerDirect.com

Lisa

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Lisa, we had all 3 here in town at one time. Circuit City was here first then a new shopping center opened just above our Mall and Best Buy and CompUSA both came to town. I liked Circuit City for Cameras and some other things like some TV sets, but for Computer anything CompUSA was the best.

Last I had seen Tiger Direct opened a few CompUSA locations but not sure what is going on now.

OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For me CompUSA was a good 45 minute drive so it was a treat for me to get time to go. Of course, I had kids, was teaching full time, and helping my husband run our farm so time was a premium.

Now the Apple store, Fry's and MicroCenter are my "treats" as all are over an hour away from where I live. We have a Best Buy over by where I work but they have - in my opinion - gone down. I use to head there for the best price, now it is when I have to have it now and can't wait.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
my first mac was a color classic II. :) 1990 or so.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.