Ad Blocking Software Trouble

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020) 8GB
Hi,
Have been using google chrome as web browser with MSN set as my home page. Also have ghostery, Adblock plus installed. Why all of a sudden have i received the below message when viewing content from my home page. This has never been an issue before in all the time I have been using the above. Do i need to disable my ad blocking software or look into replacement software. Any suggestions or advice on ad blocking software.
I apologize if this is submitted in the incorrect forum.
Thanks in advance, WW4B (Walks with four balls)

"Our website is having trouble interacting with your ad blocking software. If you’re experiencing issues we apologize and suggest that you try disabling your current ad blocker or switching to a different ad block provider. Thank you".

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
This is NOT a problem, but rather an indication of a trend on websites now. They all want you to disable the ad blocker so that they can show you ads. Some websites will subtly asked you to disable it, others will prevent you from accessing parts of the site or the site totally until you disable.

You can ignore that message since the ad blocking software is doing exactly what it was meant to do (i.e., prevent websites from showing ads where they generate revenue)

Reaction score
This is NOT a problem, but rather an indication of a trend on websites now. They all want you to disable the ad blocker so that they can show you ads. Some websites will subtly asked you to disable it, others will prevent you from accessing parts of the site or the site totally until you disable.

Well that sure sounds like a problem to me for people want to use an ad blocker...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
That's what I was thinking too Ashwin...an anti-ad-blocking measure. Probably a tug-of-war between website revenue & users that don't want to see ads.

- Nick

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Well that sure sounds like a problem to me for people want to use an ad blocker...

Correct and those websites are within their rights to do so if they feel like they need to rely solely on ads to generate revenue to sustain the site and create the content. Some sites use full pay-walls. But most rely on ads.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
It's a choice: View the ads and see the content, or block the ads and block the content. I'm sort of OK with that as the site has a right to try to earn some money to at least pay for the service, but the flip side is that the ads are often obnoxious pop-over, unrelenting and interruptive of just viewing the content. If the advertisers were more restrained, I might turn off the blocker, but until some self-control is used, they get blocked and I live without the content. I can usually find what I want somewhere else on the net.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Agreed Jake. I go to some sites where the site is almost "unnavigatable" for about 10-15 seconds or more while all of the ads, pop-ups, and videos load. And on an older computer with "weaker" graphics things can really bog down. As with many things...a happy middle ground would be best.

-Nick

Reaction score
Correct and those websites are within their rights to do so if they feel like they need to rely solely on ads to generate revenue to sustain the site and create the content. Some sites use full pay-walls. But most rely on ads.

I agree it's absolutely their right. I was just reacting to you saying it wasn't a problem. I've never used an ad-blocker, personally, so it's not going to be an issue for me, but I know many do.

Reaction score
Most sites instructs to remove the adblocker and block the center of the page which prevents anyone from reading.... well, for me what is in their news material is not worth the trouble of having so many pests of ads popping around the page so Id rather not read whatever news they have... I don't give up my piece of reading without these ads....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
If the website is important enough, you could always whitelist (allow) the site, in Ghostery and AdBlock Plus?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
If the website is important enough, you could always whitelist (allow) the site, in Ghostery and AdBlock Plus?

That seems to be a sensible solution to me, Bob.

PS: I stopped using Ghostery FWIW, but I have a good number of sites whitelisted using AdBlock. At least for those but don't overdo their ads.

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.