System extension blocked! popup warning.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
this is a first. got this just now.

not sure what this means or do I need to be worried? ran malwarebytes and it found nothing.

I only have three programs that are allowing incoming connections in my firewall.

garageband
firefox
com.apple.Webkit.Networking.xpc

what is the com.apple.Webkit.Networking.xpc? can I disable this one in the firewall?

hp.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
bump. no thoughts or comments from anyone on a program trying to load a new system extension? :neutral

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
First blush...looks to like someone launched an old app (or was trying to print)...and the app needed to use a old extension relating to an old HP printer app or driver or extension.

Remember a lot of these pop up warnings are for the safety of the user...and many of them are false positives. Just like when you download an app from the internet & open it for the first time...many times you get the pop-up warning (are you sure you want to open this)...or the pop-up warning Safari gives if you visit some non-https websites. Many of these non-https sites are safe.

Pretty soon there will be a pop-up window warning for just about everything...and we won't be able to do anything on the internet without being worried about the next click!

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
By the way. I'm thinking maybe this was already on the computer (maybe from a backup or clone of an old hard drive)...and not something that came from the internet recently).

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.