Missing Volume Mount Point?...

Reaction score
I did a fresh install of Snow Leopard 10.6.8 on my MBP 13" but under Disk Utilities it shows that there is no mounting point for my drive so why is that? Please see attached image.

Also whenever I go onto a website that has a few banner or skyscraper ads or even just eBay which has none of those, my CPU temperature shoots right up and my fans got to the maximum 6,000+ revs.

So I’m wondering if this is because the MBP 13” has only 1 fan and it is not enough to cool it and that it should really have 2 fans as per the 15” if they could only fit it? I use Crystal Macs Fan Control to monitor.

Missing Volume Mount Point.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What year and model is it?

When was the last time you opened up your MBP and cleaned it out? If the fan is spinning up to 6000 RPM as you say, then something is wrong. One fan should be sufficient to cool that machine. I believe normal RPM should be around 2000.

Also, if you open it up, check the cooling vents and fan to see if they're clogged with dust. Also check the thermal paste on the CPU heat sink.

As for the mount point, I don't know how you're checking the drive with Disk Utility? Since Snow Leopard has no recovery partition, in order to run Disk Utility properly you must either boot from an external hard drive or from the Snow Leopard DVD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
When you did the fresh install of Snow Leopard, maybe you only erased/wiped the partition/volume, and not the entire disk drive? What Mac OS X/OS X/macOS version was on it before?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
BondAMR, from that image you are at the root of the boot drive, shown by the "/" for Mount Point. Your image cuts off the top of the DU display so it's hard to tell exactly where you are in that application, but I would suspect you are highlighted on "Macintosh HD." The drive is a 1T drive, with 870GB free space.

OP
B
Reaction score
@chscag it’s a late-2011 MBP 13” inch A1278 MD313LL/A (2.4 GHz) and I just opened it up to install the new SSD and the internals are very clean, no dust in the vents, but not sure about the thermal paste, I’ve never dealt with thermal paste before. I ran the Disk Utility straight from the Applications folder while using SL.

@ferrarr I just did the fresh install from the grey colored DVD that came with different early-2011 MBP system and it was on a newly-bought SSD so I performed the very first format to Mac OSX Journaled, there never was another OSX installed before it.

@MacInWin yes I am highlighted on the main root not called the usual default Macintosh HD I named it something else when I performed it’s first format so I’m stumped as to why this empty volume shows like this? It’s a fresh install on a fresh drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I have EXACTLY the same thing on my MBP. The indicator is for where the drive is mounted, not its name. So it is saying that your boot drive is mounted at root, which is exactly where it should be. Here is a screenshot of what it says on my system:
2019-01-24 06.34.24 pm.png
The NAME of the drive is whatever you gave it, and is shown in the part you cut off of the screenshot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
Did you upgrade the OS from Snow Leopard, or are you still using that? If you’re still using Snow Leopard, I would recommend you upgrade it to a newer OS, that may be the reason the fan is going full speed? Because the OS is too old, to handle the new www?

OP
B
Reaction score
@ferrarr I’m still using Snow Leopard and a big proponent of it so I don’t want to upgrade it for my main daily system, but now I think I figured it out …when you are using one partition and you look in disk utility the mount point will show nothing, but if you have a 2nd partition then it will show that mounting point with the volume name, but only if you are not currently into and using that volume name, and the same applies to external drives. I noticed this just now on my MBA which I keep a few different OS on that.

But a strange thing happened, when I cut the main Lion partition in half to add a Yosemite partition, for some reason doing that also renamed the whole SSD drive and it didn’t keep the name of the SSD manufacturer like 121.3 GB APPLE SSD S… I have never seen this renaming of the whole disk before, is this unusual? Also why does it say Logical Partition for it’s format and no the usual Mac OS Extended (Journaled) instead?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.