The Scourge of AOL... in my younger years!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook
I've had an AOL address since 1941 (exaggeration again) & I don't want to have to change it at all the business & people that have it! So.... does anyone know how to keep my AOL address & escape AOL's security/log in system when I check my email. I think, maybe some other email systems will accept an (@aol.com) address. I had confused the system for awhile that AOL asked for my password... but if I ignored it I could access anything including my AOL email. Somehow it started locking me out again! I'm not the CIA, so I don't need that much security!

Thanx in advance for any ideas,

Mr. D (My old teaching name!). Dave

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
There isn't much you can do with what AOL (and pretty much everyone) is doing with the additional layer of security. And honestly, this has VERY little to do with being in the CIA or not wanting that security. Once you are the victim of identity theft due to lax security you'll be glad you have it.

Anyway, if you want to continue using your AOL email address, you have to use their service, you cannot use that email address elsewhere.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@Ashwin Could Mr. D log into his AOL account and set it to forward his email to another account? He'd probably have to configure whatever email program he uses with the appropriate information but at least you don't have to keep entering the information.

I haven't used AOL in more years than I care to count. Once we got a local ISP I dropped AOL.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Sly, that's a good option if AOL supports it. I've never used it and as such don't know. Lisa's option of using a Mail.app or something else to access would work if AOL supports external IMAP/POP access.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Lisa gave Dave the correct way to check his mail without having to sign in with his password each time. Like she said, let Apple Mail do it for you. ;D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
@Mr. D. Same as Lisa & Charlie said. Like you Mr. D...I've had an AOL email address for a very very very long time...and I have used it in many areas of my internetting life over the years. There's absolutely no need to log into AOL.com to check your AOL email. Simply setup Apple's "Mail app" with your AOL email address (and any other email address's you may have)...then the Apple Mail app is the one & only place you need to check for all your email accounts!:)

I have at least 8 email accounts that the Apple Mail app does all my email checking for me.:)

- Nick

p.s. There are of course other mail apps similar to Apple's "Mail" app if you prefer something else.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.