Site running slow

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5",mid2011,2.5 GHz,12 GB mem,OSX 10.13.6; iPhone SE; MacBook Air,early2015,1.6 GHz,4GB
Last night, a site that I frequent daily, suddenly started running brutally slow for me. I would click on a topic and it would take from 30 seconds to 2 or 3 minutes for the page to load. Sometimes it would not even load. I managed to get a post on the site asking about it and it seems to be running ok for other users. I do not believe it is my internet connection as everything else is running at normal speed. The site is BladeForums.com. It looks to me like it is on a very similar platform to the one Mac Forums is on. Acutally, earlier today, I was having the same problem with this forum, although not to as extreme an extent.
Thanks for any advice.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5",mid2011,2.5 GHz,12 GB mem,OSX 10.13.6; iPhone SE; MacBook Air,early2015,1.6 GHz,4GB
I am having quite a bit of trouble with this site as well. I started this thread on my mac, hit the submit button, and 10 minutes later it still hadn't posted. I posted it from my phone and a couple minutes later the post from my mac came through.
Last night I was on Blade Forums, it was working fine, and then it was like a switch was flipped, it just started bogging down.
All the other web sites I go to are running fine, just as fast as ever. Just this one and Blade forums are bogging down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
Which browser or browsers are you using? Have you cleared the cache/history in the browser?

Also, it could be your home network that is slow at certain times?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Here in Indonesia BladeForums is one of the sites I need to use a VPN to load otherwise it takes me to the Indonesian "Censored" site. This is a redirect which occurs whenever I try to open a web site that has been blocked/banned here. This occurs with reddit sites as well. Other than that anomaly the site opens as quickly as any other site would normally on my network here.
If you are able to access other sites at a normal speed then I would suggest that it it this sites servers that are to blame, if all sites are slow to open then it may be a problem at your end.
Hosting sites do not always give the same resources to the sites they host. For example, Apple has it's own servers and effectively hosts itself, their servers can handle thousands of individual connections at the same time but the hosts for this site cannot.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am very puzzled as to what the problem was, however, everything is back to normal. Both Mac-Forums and Blade Forums were bogging down, while every other site on the internet was running at normal speed on my mac. I ran Malwarebytes and my machine came up clean. The only thing I could think was that it was a communication problem between my computer and the platform (not sure if that is the right term) that MF and BF were running on? Last night the situation resolved itself, all of a sudden both forums started running normally for me, and now are running as fast, or even a little faster, than normal.
Thanks for all the replies.
Dan

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Last night the situation resolved itself, all of a sudden both forums started running normally for me, and now are running as fast, or even a little faster, than normal.

Sounds great Dan.:)

If you run into an issue like this in the future...a great way to start some investigating is to go the website called Speedtest.net...and test what sort of un=pload & downloads speeds you're getting. You probably know what sort of internet speeds you're paying for via your ISP. First thing to do when things are running "normally" is check your speed to make sure you're getting what you pay for. Then when things seem slow you can run another test to compare.

Also remember that depending on what sort of internet setup you have...you may have a shared setup. Many cable modem setups via cable tv companies are shared bandwidth. Which means you share the bandwidth with some of your neighbors. Most of time you will get the speeds you pay for...but during busy times each day when EVERYONE is at home & on the internet (and possibily streaming movies or music)...internet speeds can slow down to individual homes.

HTH,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.