Bluetooth Not Detected by iMac in System Informations

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
this is my first post in this community and I'm writing because I'm experiencing several issues with my Bluetooth module on my iMac 21'' Mid 2010 model 11,2.

Yesterday I replaced my old SuperDrive (not even working anymore) with a brand new SSD Drive. Everything went well and the new drive is correctly detected by the machine. Unfortunately, after installing, Bluetooth stopped working.

Here's the issues I'm having:

- no more Bluetooth logo in System Preferences
- no informations under the Bluetooth Tab in System Informations
- no informations about Bluetooth BUS under USB in System Informations

It seems like the machine is not "seeing" the Bluetooth module anymore. For that reason I decided to go back and re-open the machine to see if all the cables where connected. Everything was fine and nothing seemed strange to me.

I've already tried all this:

- Restart Machine
- Delete com.apple.Bluetooth.plist
- Reset SMC
- Reset PRAM
- Run Apple Hardware Test -> I found a MEM error, due to the fact that my RAM was full of dust
- Install again MacOS
- Launch in Recovery Mode

Nothing changed. Then I decided to clean my RAM and Bluetooth came back to life for no reason, but after a reboot it died again.

Again, I tried to install one more time MacOS on my new SSD and luckly my Bluetooth keyboard worked again when I was in recovery mode (at the first page, when you have to selected: Time Machine, Utility Disk, Light Safari or Install OS). Then I installed again OS and my keyboard - during the process - was regularly connected, but then, just after installation, my Bluetooth module disappeared again.

This is my conclusion:

- All the cables are fine (if not, why sometimes the keyboard works?)
- My Bluetooth module it's not damaged (//)
- The error is due to some driver incompabilities with my new SSD Drive

How could I fix that?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Good one. Saw you mentioned a bluetooth issue in another thread.:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is my conclusion:

- The error is due to some driver incompabilities with my new SSD Drive

How could I fix that?

To test this conclusion...you could uninstall any apps/files related to the new SSD drive....then see if the bluetooth works again.

And to test things even further...you could uninstall any apps/files related to the new SSD drive...AND...reinstall the old optical drive (basically return the iMac to its original configuraton. If after doing this bluetooth is still not working...then maybe something did get damaged (or something disconnected).

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What do you mean by "good one"?

I suggested in your other thread regarding the 5K iMac question (when you asked about a bluetooth issue)...to go ahead and post the bluetooth question & someone will jump on it. Then I saw this bluetooth thread...and saw you already posted.

Thus the "good one" comment was referring to good job...that you already posted your bluetooth question.:)

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
To test this conclusion...you could uninstall any apps/files related to the new SSD drive....then see if the bluetooth works again.

And to test things even further...you could uninstall any apps/files related to the new SSD drive...AND...reinstall the old optical drive (basically return the iMac to its original configuraton. If after doing this bluetooth is still not working...then maybe something did get damaged (or something disconnected).

- Nick

At the moment both of the hard drives (mechanical and SSD) have been formatted to HFS+, which means that there's nothing on the computer, nor any files that could be related to the issue.

I really do not know what is the problem, assuming that the Bluetooth module was not even touched during the SSD installation.

I'm scared that something may be disconnected at this point, but how could I check? On the top left corner of the iMac everything seemed fine.

OP
B
Reaction score
At the moment both of the hard drives (mechanical and SSD) have been formatted to HFS+, which means that there's nothing on the computer, nor any files that could be related to the issue.

I really do not know what is the problem, assuming that the Bluetooth module was not even touched during the SSD installation.

I'm scared that something may be disconnected at this point, but how could I check? On the top left corner of the iMac everything seemed fine.

No other ideas :(?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I'm really not a hardware guy but I have heard of a number of cases where the Bluetooth and WiFi antenna have been damaged during screen replacement but honestly I don't know if this is a possibility in your instance. iFixit is a site which gives walkthroughs on just about any tech you can take apart. Maybe check Thier site for the steps to do what you did and see if there are any notes about possible mistakes/errors that could occur. I know it's a long shot but maybe worth a try.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I did some video watching and the Bluetooth module is very close to where you had to disconnect the Vertical Sync cable at the top left of the iMac and you might have hit it accidently and dislodged it. Open the iMac back up and check this guide as it shows how to change the Bluetooth module. Make sure it's seated in it's slot and the antenna is connected. Since the OS can not even find the module, to me it sounds like either it was damaged when you were near it unplugging that Sync cable from the display or it got moved enough not to connect in it's slot.

Let us know what you find. Here is the URL:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+21.5-Inch+EMC+2389+Bluetooth+Board+Replacement/6265

OP
B
Reaction score
I'm really not a hardware guy but I have heard of a number of cases where the Bluetooth and WiFi antenna have been damaged during screen replacement but honestly I don't know if this is a possibility in your instance. iFixit is a site which gives walkthroughs on just about any tech you can take apart. Maybe check Thier site for the steps to do what you did and see if there are any notes about possible mistakes/errors that could occur. I know it's a long shot but maybe worth a try.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

Thanks for you reply but, this is what happens:

Video 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k43vyw7bDM

Video 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M74c0u5VcRQ

When I’m in recovery mode/selection of the boot hard drive, everything works… but then, just after installing the OS, Bluetooth dies.

Please watch the video. It’s clear that it is not an hardware problem, to me.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
When I try to view your videos, I get "Video Unavailable" for both.

Ian

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Did you say you booted from a either reinstalled OS or OS on an external? If the hardware is ok, it makes no sense that it only works in Safe Mode. I have never had BT issues with any Mac I have owned and any version of the OS. Strange one for sure. I would check the BT module anyway. Even if the Antenna was disconnected, the OS would still see the card.

Please do try and remove and re-seat the BT card. It can not hurt for sure.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I try to view your videos, I get "Video Unavailable" for both.

Ian

Must be something server related between you and where the videos are hosted Ian. They are working here.

OP
B
Reaction score
Did you say you booted from a either reinstalled OS or OS on an external? If the hardware is ok, it makes no sense that it only works in Safe Mode. I have never had BT issues with any Mac I have owned and any version of the OS. Strange one for sure. I would check the BT module anyway. Even if the Antenna was disconnected, the OS would still see the card.

Yes. It is very strange anyway.

Sometimes the Bluetooth keyboard works (which means that internally everything it is fine) when I'm trying to install OS again. I have a bootable usb-drive with macOs High Sierra mounted and when I boot from that drive usually everything works fine. But then, just after installing the os on the ssd drive, the Bluetooth module disappear again.

If you watch the video it's very clear what happens.

internally everything should be ok, as I already checked several times!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Every time you boot and the BT keyboard does not work does also System Info show no BT also? I wish you had an external back up of the Mac OS you could boot from and see if the issue is still there.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One more thing I forgot to say, I can not see how any SSD driver would interfear with BT as the drive is on the SATA bus and has nothing to do with BT. Strange one for sure.

OP
B
Reaction score
One more thing I forgot to say, I can not see how any SSD driver would interfear with BT as the drive is on the SATA bus and has nothing to do with BT. Strange one for sure.

I heard that SSD Drive may interfear magnetically with Bluetooth radiations. Some users solved the issues by wrapping their ssd into foil paper.

Every time you boot and the BT keyboard does not work does also System Info show no BT also? I wish you had an external back up of the Mac OS you could boot from and see if the issue is still there.

This is what happens, again:

New Video 1 - Again -> Here the Bluetooth keyboard works when I have to select the hard drive to boot with.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4InWjZS7E4

New Video 2
- Again -> Again, Bluetooth is working during the recovery installation mode.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rfGqV64Hes

Now I'm installing the OS, again, so I'm not able to tell you if Bluetooth is going to work again when I'm into the OS. I'll let you know.

P.S. When I previously had the OS installed, the Bluetooth icon disappeared from System Preferences, as well from system informations.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Keep us posted. I do know of users who have installed SSD's in a an iMac just like yours and reported no issues. I hope you can solve this. I will do more searching and report back if I find anything.

OP
B
Reaction score
Keep us posted. I do know of users who have installed SSD's in a an iMac just like yours and reported no issues. I hope you can solve this. I will do more searching and report back if I find anything.

Here I am.
I left you with the first 2 videos in which the bluetooth keyboard was working during recovery mode/installation process of the new os...

I waited for the whole process to complete and then this just happened:

Video 3 - Not working after installation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX_KfL2Rda0

There's no logic behind all that. It's crazy that everything works before installing the OS and then it doesn't work anymore.

Please watch the video if you can.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.